YESENIA THE GODDESS OF HOPE

(Written by: emooranges)

(Edited mildly by: Aivilo)

Writer's comments -- Cliffhanger, I know, but don't worry, I write fast. :D

On May 27, I, Yesenia the Goddess of Hope was reborn. Yesenia saved the world many time -- thousands of years ago. The world was a dangerous place until I was reborn. Well, until I was old enough to use my powers. When I turned four, my parents got me a string doll. I hugged it and loved it, especially on the day my father had a heart attack. I cried and cried. I didn't know what it was like to lose anyone. At least I still had one parent to love. On my twelfth birthday, my mom told me that I had to save the world, for she was the goddess of nature. She also told me that my father was the god of protection, so he would watch over us from heaven. I had to start my mission, so I wrote a note that said:

Dear Mom,

I'm going to save the world and make peace. Don't worry, I brought my cell phone. . . and allowance.

Your daughter,

Yesenia

I left a bit after four o'clock in the morn on my bike with the string doll. I had a strange vision of my dad saying go to Dionow city. I went home at about five in the morning to look up and print a map. I took the map and sprinted to the door, and my long, sleek black hair flew behind me. As I jumped on my bike, I adjusted the map in the bicycle basket and rode off into the sunrise. I wept. I will never see my mom again, will I? I wiped my eyes and kept riding. I thought about my father and sobbed, wondering if he was watching.

I stopped at my family's supermarket to buy some food. Mrs. Sharon, a store lady asked me why I was up so early. I blinked repeatedly, trying to come up with a lie. Mrs. Sharon repeated, "Why are you up so early?!"

I swallowed and said "I need to pick up some things for my grandma .We're going to south Carolina, and we need to get on the plane in a half hour, so Grandma sent me to pick up the food. You see, I slept in so she sent me to get our things, understand?"

"I do baby, I do," she said as she pushed her thick brown hair back behind her ears. "Get shopping," she said in her rough country voice.

"Okay!" I said cheerfully. I smiled with my eyes closed and said, "Lucky you guys are open twenty-four-seven,"

"Yeah," Mrs. Sharon said quietly. "Hop to it!" Mrs. Sharon said loudly, looking at me with her dark eyes.

I went into aisle seven and got my favorite dessert, Oreos. I got bread, ham, cheese, mayo, and lettuce, to make the best sandwich in the world. I call it "Yesenia and Rob" . . . Rob was my father’s name. Tears welled in my eyes as I thought about the time that my dad and I made it and my mom thinking that we were crazy until she tasted it. I wiped my tears and looked for some strawberries, continuing to aisle nine. I paid at Mrs. Sharon's stand.

"Off so soon?" she said, bagging my stuff.

"Yeah," I replied, still sniffing a bit..

"You'd best get going, it's almost six o'clock, babe," Mrs. Sharon said quickly.

"Oh, yeah," I said loud and quickly.

"Wait -- here's a freebee toy for you, babe,"

"Okay!" I said smiling.

"You have such pretty green eyes" she noted as she handed me a little puzzle game.

"Thanks!" I said, "I like it,"

"Yer welcome, babe," she said. She hugged me and I hugged her right back. Mrs. Sharon was like family to me. She gave me a fabric bag to carry the groceries in as we said good bye to each other and I walked out the door. I looked down and saw a curious black cat with bright green eyes. When I put out a hand to pet her, she licked me. I picked her up and put her right in my basket under the map of Dionow city.

"I’ll call you Melina," I said as the cat rested her head on my string doll and fell asleep. I took out a small blanket I had gotten on my fifth birthday, and put it around Melina. She lazily opened one eye at me and closed it again.

I rode off in the six o'clock sunrise, muttering to myself, "I'll be alright. I'll be alright." For several hours I whipped around turns and got over huge hills with Melina, finally making it to Dionow City. I carried Melina with me and saw very sick looking people, but one lively girl about my age was taking care of a man who I guessed was her father by the way their eyes sparkled.

I almost cried remembering my papa, but she walked up to me and asked, "Do you have any spare money or food?" She was wearing a cheer leading outfit with a white top and a diagonal blue stripe with a golden T on it.

"Wait a sec, who are you?" I sputtered.

"Jessie," she said simply.

"Hi," I mumbled.

"Hello!" she practically yelled. The girl looked behind me at the sick patients, and suddenly her teeth chattered, her eyes grew wide, and she let out a piercing shriek of shock and pain.

TO BE CONTINUED . . .?