Two

Out on deck, everything was content. Passengers mingled over cool drinks by the bar, and the sun really was nice after being locked up inside the cabin. Midgley started sniffing eagerly at the air, and pulled the leash towards the ship’s kitchen.

           “Whoa, slow down, Midgley!” Morgan yelled happily, trying but failing to keep the impatient dog restrained.

           Midgley barked and continued to tug towards that wonderful smell coming from the kitchen. He wasn’t exactly sure what it was, but he wanted it.

           Finally Morgan gave up. “Alright, Midgley, go on. Be careful.” She let go of the leash and giggled.

           Midgley broke away from the girl’s tight grasp and trotted through the wide open door into the room where the delectable smell of meat lingered. The dog drooled at the sight of the sausages sitting in a big pot, and in the blink of an eye he was on top of the counter. He sniffed carefully at the beefy treats, and in a second he had gobbled up three of them.

           At that moment, though, the chef came in and saw Midgley eating today’s lunch, and suddenly he was full of rage. The chef swung at the dog once, but Midgley was too fast for him. This time, though, the chef grabbed a sharp knife and started swinging at him. Midgley now saw his mistake and was backing away from the angry man with the big knife.

           But the dog was so distracted and afraid that he backed up and fell – right into a pot of searing hot oil!

           The chef suddenly panicked and tried to help the poor dog out of the pot, grabbing a spatula and trying to lift him out, but Midgley’s time was up.

           By the time the ship security had been notified and arrived in the kitchen, Midgley was officially dead.