The Hippogriff Ride

"This is Starlight," Newt said, reaching up to stroke the beak of a beautiful silver hippogriff. She instantly nuzzled Newt's hand, making a sound of love, like a mother looking after her son. "I grew up with her. She was a birthday present from Mum when I was five," Newt said. Starlight nuzzled Tina gently, causing her to smile. The hippogriff looked at Newt as if he were her own child.

"Some of the hippogriffs here are a bit more wild than Starlight is. I learned how to handle hippogriffs from her. She is the one that started my obsession with magical beasts," Newt continued, stroking her neck. Starlight snorted. "I used to ride her," Newt said softly. "Ride her?" Tina smiled at the thought of young Newt up on this large creature. "Yes. It was actually quite fun," Newt said with his usual shy grin. "I think I'd like to ride one someday," Tina said. Newt hoisted himself up using Starlight's wing. He held out his hand to Tina. "Why not?" Newt asked, a hint of playfulness in his voice. Legs shaking, Tina took his hand. With one firm pull, Newt hoisted Tina up onto Starlight's soft back behind him. Newt clicked his tongue a few times, causing Starlight to rear up. Tina gasped and wrapped her arms around Newt so tightly, she was positive that she was strangling him. Starlight charged forward a few strides before opening her wings and taking flight.

Tina tried to calm herself by inhaling Newt's scent. Wind whipped at her hair. She could feel the flapping of Starlight's wings. She heard Newt whisper, "Look." Tina mustered the courage to look down, and gasped with joy. 

The Scamander family home looked so small compared when she was up this high. It really was beautiful. "It's amazing, Newt!" she whispered in his ear, causing him to grin shyly again. Would that smile always make her dizzy? Newt clicked a few more times, causing Starlight to dip back down towards the ground. Tina buried her face into Newt's back as they glided smoothly back onto the ground. "Um, Tina?" Newt said. Tina looked at him. "Ouch." Tina realized that she was clutching him so hard that she was most likely causing bruises to form around his waist. "Sorry," she said, blushing as she unwrapped and slid her arms down to her side. "No worries!" Newt slid down before holding out his hands to her. She placed her hands on his shoulders, he placed her hands on her waist, and she hopped down. Tina realized how close they were. Newt smiled, shyly again before leaning towards her. She felt his lips press up against her cheek before he dropped his hands and walked off. Tina reached up, touching the place where Newt's warm lips had met her skin. It was still slightly warm. She couldn't stop the grin that spread across her face before she walked off towards the house.