Papa

A/N: THIS IS NOT A SHIP. I wanted to write something cute for Zeff's birthday. This is my version of how Zeff and Sanji met.

Precise. Thin. And swift. That's what it takes to be a cook. Following the recipe, adding personal touches, and experimenting. But always perfecting the meal. Not wasting a single ingredient. Once you start, there will be mistakes, but with a helping hand. It can be fixed. But that's not where our story begins. No. Way before that.

A cold winter in the North Blue. The breeze was harsh, the snow was bitter, and the little for food were frozen. Zeff grumbled as he pushed away the trash. He was a poor old man. No family to help support him, no sons, nothing. He was alone in this world and he was going to die that way. Or. So he thought. As he pushed away that trash can a blonde haired boy whipped over to him. He was on the verge of starvation. Fear was in his eyes, as he raised the knife pointing it to Zeff.

Zeff held his hands out to him assuring the boy he meant him no harm. But the boy furrowed clutching the knife with both of his hands. Zeff knelt down to his level and rummaged in his coat. Where he pulled out a blanket. The boy's face lightened as he draped the blanket over him.

"You're going to get sick if you go around like that." Zeff said.

The boy lowered his knife and sniffled looking up to Zeff.

"I'm scared!" He cried.

Then he embraced Zeff who blinked to the sudden warmth. The boy cried clutching onto Zeff. Who sighed stroking the blonde haired boy's head. He embraced the boy resting his chin on the boy's head. His shaken hand rubbed his back calming down the boy. Who calmed down after a moment or two. He pulled back sniffling and hiccuping in tears.

"Why are you by yourself? Where's your family?" Zeff asked.

"They, they abandoned me." He said.

Zeff clicked his tongue before holding his hand out to the boy.

"My name is Zeff, from this day forward. We will be family." Zeff said.

The boy smiled and wiped his tears taking Zeff's hand, "I'm Sanji."

Zeff smiled, "Don't worry, things will look up for us soon."

Sanji hummed as they sat against the wall. Sanji sat in Zeff's lap going on and on about the lost sea, the All Blue. Zeff smiled remembering bragging about he sea himself when he was Sanji's age. He chuckled as Sanji it up and told him about all the things he was going to cook and create with the fish there. Zeff added in that he was a cook too. The two sat there bonding and cuddling for warmth. As the bitter cold night was on the brink.

But. Things get worse before they get better right?

Zeff awoke in the middle of the night to a trash can being knocked over. Two shady men were walking into the alleyway. Zeff grumbled picking up Sanji and hid him behind a knocked over trash can beside them. The two men approached Zeff and chuckled.

"Well well old man, what you got on you?" One asked.

"Bug off." Zeff barked.

"Awe come on pops, just give us what you got and we'll leave you alone."

"Well I ain't got anything so bug off."

But they didn't like that very much. And they attacked him. Beating him, kicking him, breaking him. But Zeff fought back. Waking Sanji in the process. He poked out finding Zeff sending the two men running with their tails between their legs. Sanji grinned climbing out of the trashcan to cheer on Zeff. But something was wrong. When he stepped in a puddle. He turned to the dark color pooling to his feet. Sanji furrowed following the trail of the dark color and gasped. Zeff fell back onto the pavement having Sanji scream. He scrambled to Zeff in tears.

"Don't die! You said it would just be you and me. Please don't die!" Sanji cried.

Zeff chuckled, "I'll be fine, just let me rest here."

"I'll go get help just don't die!"

Sanji pulled his blanket off and onto Zeff's body before dashing out to the street. He cried out for someone's help. But everyone was too stuck up and didn't care about a poor orphan boy. But. One man noticed the blood on his shoes. Where he sent Sanji to his bakery with his wife while the man went to find and save Zeff.

Zeff woke up to Sanji crying on his chest holding his hand. He patted the boys head as Sanji's head shot up. He grinned cheering that Zeff was okay. Then practically strangled him with hugs. Zeff had lost his leg in that fight. But. He earned a son, and two new friends. They told him about a restaurant where they had started. But wasn't getting enough business. Which. Zeff and Sanji were sent to the East. To run the restaurant, once they had enough money. They bought out the restaurant. Where their friend was more than happier to give it to them.

Then again. That was ten years ago. Zeff sat in his office. His eyes fixed on an old picture of Sanji and him from all those years ago. He watched him grow from a boy to a fine, perverted, gentlemen. He was proud to call him his son, and his heart melted when he called him dad, or pops, sometimes papa. Zeff plucked the picture off the desk and smiled softly. The door was knocked on as he frowned. He put away the picture and turned to the door.

"What?" He barked.

The door was opened as Patty stepped inside, "It's time."

Zeff got up and brushed off his tuxedo. He stepped out of the kitchen and headed out the front door where three black cars sat. Zeff got into the second one. His eyes met a set of Hawkeyes. They both nodded before the car started up and they headed out. In time they arrived to a nice field where chairs and white ribbon was set up. They existed the car as did many others of the party. All but one. Zeff looked into each of the windows before he stopped to the last one. There he sat. His lip between his teeth, hands clutching the bouquet, and his eyes filled with nervousness and fear. Zeff opened the car door and went inside. Sanji turned to him relieved.

"Thank god." Sanji sighed, "Hurry let's get out of here before they notice."

Zeff furrowed, "Your not getting cold feet are you?"

"We can go back to how things were before. Just you and me. I can be your son again and-"

Zeff grabbed his cheek having Sanji shut up.

"You're not going to abandon that man who is waiting for you. You've been with him since high school and I will not let you let him slip through your fingers. Besides," Zeff let go of his cheek, "No matter what happens, you will always be my son."

Sanji smiled rubbing his cheek, "Thanks pop."

Zeff smirked, "Come on, I gotta walk you down the aisle."

"I'm ready."

Zeff got out of the car and headed to Sanji's side. He looked over to the party where everyone was turned to them before he opened the car door. Zeff held out his hand for Sanji to get out of the car and taking his hand. Sanji and Zeff linked arms before they followed the path up to the alter. The pastor smiled as Sanji's eyes were locked to his soon to be husband. A green haired seabrain brute of a fiancé. Or soon to be husband.

"Who presents this man's hand in marriage?" The pastor asked.

"I do." Zeff said.

"Zoro, as you receive your grooms hand, I'd like you to shake his father's hand."

Zoro stepped forward taking Zeff's hand, they stepped back as he turned to Sanji. They embraced for a moment once they pulled back Zeff placed his hand to Sanji's cheek. Wiping away the lone tear.

"You, may have a new name. But. You will always, be my son."