Chapter Two: Let the Games Begin

||

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."
-Walt Disney

||

The Great Hall was easily the most exciting part of the school.

At least, on the first day it was.

The students returned from their summer holiday to be met with the most magnificent display of golden hues and delicious food under a ceiling that was a void of stars.

Eleanor had a thing for the night sky and the way the candles looked against the magical backdrop.

All around her in their robes and new looks after the break, everyone chatted and laughed away, filling the room with the excited atmosphere for this new year.

Eleanor Parkinson sat at the head of the table, just before the gap for the new students began. Among her seating was Marcella and Julius, as well as a few other Ravenclaws who she was associated with through the Quidditch team and her classes. Before she entered, Headmaster Dippet did have words with her for slapping Malfoy but also said he didn't particularly care since the year hadn't officially begun.

They talked among themselves as the first years were sorted into their homes, those of which her and Julius would have to direct at the end of the feast.

At the sight of Headmaster Dippet coming to the adorned podium at the center of the room, people began to silence.

"Welcome! It is my honor to welcome you all back for another magical year at Hogwarts. New and old, I hope your summer holiday served you all well and that you're ready to hit the ground running. With a lot to look forward to, I wish you all a successful school year!"

Clapping began and Eleanor hesitantly joined, noticing Professor Dippet seemed like he wasn't finished.

"As if the welcoming of the First Years is not enough of a delay, I'm sorry to say I have another announcement that will push back the meal." the Professor added. "For the first time in nearly three centuries, Hogwarts will be hosting the second TriWizard tournament in light of recent events across the world. Joined together with the Baeuxbatons and Durmstrang school, we will send the message during this friendly competition that alliance is capable of happening still."

Eleanor was filled with such disgust for the Durmstrang Institute. She understood the logic behind wanting to establish peace when the countries were at war but she found it disturbing that they would try to look past all that's been done and engage in a friendly competition.

"Those who are in their sixth and seventh year and are above the age of sixteen will be eligible to put their name in the Goblet of Fire. You will have plenty of time to make your decision for it will not be open until October thirtieth." Dippet added.

"Now, enjoy the feast and let's celebrate the welcoming of a great year!"

By the time Eleanor had turned back around in her seat, she had already made her decision to put her name in the cup. It was rare that she would get picked anyway. But she figured why not try it out considering this may be the only time it happens. The food was laid out in front of her and she dug in immediately.

"Who's going to put their name in?" Julius asked the group, eyes darting around at everyone with an eager grin.

No one had even opened their mouth and Eleanor glanced around, her eyes finally landing on Julius.

"Maybe. It's a busy year. Last thing I wanna do is be friendly with any of those leeches." she shrugged, breaking the silence. It was likely that most of the Gryffindor and maybe Slytherin students would join.