Chapter Fifteen: Maybe Something More

||

"Everything has been written. Everybody knows everything about me. There are no secrets. Except the skeletons in my closet."
--Kirby Puckett

||

Saturday December 16, 1943

In the days following the First Task, her victory had brought out a new sense of pride in Hogwarts since Eleanor had placed first.

Everything in her life was seemingly restored back to the way they were and it felt like a while since she's felt this way. She even thought it was no coincidence that Tom just happened to be cut from her life around the same time.

Eleanor sat in the Library with Marcella and Lillian like nothing had changed.

Regardless of the liveliness the Tournament was bringing, her world did not stop and she had to focus on her school work, specifically the exams coming up next week before Winter Break. Also in the Library, she was slightly perturbed due to the ruckus Tom's group was causing on the next isle over. They were out of sight but unfortunately out of mind and unfortunately, that related to Tom as well.

Since Eleanor had recovered from her sulking and embarrassment, it seems like they've returned to how they used to be last year and even before that. They were silent around each other and while she tried so hard to not steal a glance, she caved in every once in a while and was always expecting something but she never got anything. It was like she didn't exist anymore.

But maybe that's how it was supposed to be; not talking and not getting close. They were just too alike.

Halfway through the study session, Eleanor found herself skimming through a magazine from a boutique in Diagon Alley to start looking for dresses for the Yule Ball.

Given that the Champions would have a dance with their partner and would be the center of attention which meant Eleanor needed a dress that was center of attention worthy.

"How about this one?" Eleanor asked, causing both girls to raise their heads and lean forward to study the sleeveless ball gown. Then, to her dismay, their gazes faltered.

"What about that scar on your arm? You should cover it up." Marcella said, quirking her lips as Lillian nodded in agreement.

She was mildly offended by this. The entire school saw her get burned. It's not like they would be horrified at the sight of it since they already knew it was there. It was merely a slightly more rough patch of darker, purplish skin no bigger than the size of her palm with sharp edges.

Then again, there was a bit of self consciousness lingering when she looked at it.

"Well I'm a Champion. I'll wear it proudly." Eleanor teased, going back to skimming through the magazine, wondering if she'll even have time to make it down there.

Christmas was in two weeks and with the exams coming up next week, she wondered if she would even have time to find the perfect dress.

Another thing on her mind as she skimmed through was who her date would be. She wanted to assume it was Julius but he hadn't asked her yet. They also have been on better terms and he hasn't been pushy with flirting either.

"Cormac still hasn't asked me. He just assumes we're going together!" Lillian huffed in annoyance.

A grin formed on Eleanor's lips and she thought of mention to Julius later on that he should tell his friend to ask formally.

"I'm going with Alan. He passed me a note the other day in Charms." Marcella blushed.

But she raised an eyebrow and had to ask,"Are you sure it wasn't a love potion that made you say yes?"