Chapter 2

And that's how you clear a bitch! I grabbed my coffee and books, then I headed back to my dorm room. Hercules, my roommate and partner in crime, was sprawled out on his bed like a majestic sloth, scrolling through his phone.

I met Herc a week or two before school even started. We literally bumped into each other at a freshman orientation event. It was like a crash course in campus life, and they split us into teams. Herc ended up on mine, and we hit it off immediately. Ever since then, we've been tighter than a pair of skinny jeans on a hipster.

Our dorm was perched on 'The Hill,' which basically means the west side of campus if you're not fluent in college slang yet. Each dorm had its own theme, which was the university's way of trying to help freshmen find their tribe. I went for the poli-sci building, and Herc tagged along because, well, he's Herc. He was into fashion and design but didn't know anyone in that crowd, so he stuck with me. Being a freshman, I figured I should make an effort to expand my social circle.

That's when I stumbled upon Lafayette. He was a genius in engineering science and a math wizard. I'm more of an English whiz, so we complemented each other perfectly. Herc introduced us at a campus job fair, where I was scrounging for any gig that involved writing or reporting. Herc had this look in his eyes whenever Lafayette spoke, like he was mesmerized or something. Yep, he definitely had a crush.

While Lafayette and I were chatting, he invited me to a party later that night. I knew Herc wouldn't say no if I was going, so I sacrificed my introverted tendencies and agreed to go. Parties weren't really my scene, but hey, free beer, right? I usually just hung out by the wall, nursing a drink until things got too rowdy for my liking.

I mean, being nineteen sucks. I can work, rent an apartment, drive, and vote, but I can't even legally enjoy a cold one. Talk about unfair! Unless you count reading smut, watching porn, and smoking weed as acceptable pastimes at nineteen. Then, well, sue me. All I want is to get legally hammered, is that too much to ask?

---

**Fourth of July Party**

"Lexxiii Luuuu," Herc drawled, clutching his stomach after laughing hysterically at a snail on the ground. "Make love to me in the moonlight of a thousand fluffy ice cream cones."

I recoiled, pushing Herc's arm away from me. "LAF! HERC'S TRYING TO KNOCK ME UP! I'M NOT READY TO JOIN THE KARDASHIANS AND HAVE MIXED BABIES!"

Lafayette raised an eyebrow. "I don't know if that's racist, but it sure feels like it."

---

"Hey, where've you been? I woke up and you were MIA," Herc finally tore his gaze away from his phone.

"I went to grab Starbucks from the L.O this morning. Been burning the midnight oil, surprised you didn't notice," I replied.

"You went to Starbucks?"

"I know, shocker, right? But trust me, never again."

"What happened?" Herc sat up, suddenly interested. "Alex... spill it. What did you do?"

Should I spill the tea about Jefferson? Or should I fabricate a story? Decisions, decisions.

"I took down Jefferson. Gave him a swift kick in the you-know-whats and told him to scram. Anyway, gotta jet. Bye!" I dashed out of the room before Herc could interrogate me further. As I bolted down the hallway, I could hear Herc calling after me.

As I descended the stairs, I realized just how out of shape I was. Well, if 'round' counts as a shape, then I'm your guy. When I reached the bottom, I doubled over, gasping for breath. I felt like I was about to pass out on the cold concrete.

"Ass up, face down, seems like your favorite position nowadays."

I looked up to see Jefferson smirking down at me. "What? Thomas Jefferson afraid of a little back-and-forth banter?"

"I don't play that game."

I flashed him a mischievous grin. "Lighten up, Jefferson. We can't be enemies all the time. You really think I'd let you have your way with me?"

He visibly relaxed.

"You'd have to wine and dine me first, babe."