Chapter 5 - The Long Trip To The Azure City

'Within the next 3 days, we should reach Azure, according to the map.' Illian informs the rest of us, as he held the map in one hand and the horse's reins on another. We were currently making our way to the Azure city by horse. I'm having to hitch a ride with Illian, since I had no clue on how to ride a horse. 'Dang, your hair is a pretty blue.' Illian adds in a random comment...for the fourth time. I had to put my hair into a plait, so it didn't get in the way of Illian's vision of the road, since I sat in front of him with my back to him, but he constantly kept complimenting it to the point it flustered me.

'You've said that for the fourth time.' Edwin groans at Illian's repetitive remarks at my hair. Rendel was riding far ahead of us with her horse, which concerned myself and Edwin. 'Do you think our mistress will alright?'

'Of course, you idiot. She's an apostle. She's stronger than us combined and, what's worse, she's an immortal.' Illian sighs, as he answers. 'Though, you're right. It's concerning, since we now know Mia's kind does indeed exist, who are noted down in ancient books and ruins as one of the only races who can kill apostles and gods.'

'The half-demons numbers are probably very scarce, which is why we've only met 1 in our life, so it shouldn't be that much of a concern, but that's besides the point. I am more so concerned with her mental state.' Edwin replies quietly, trying to not draw any attention from Rendel who was riding at front. We were still surrounded by an endless forest of trees, despite travelling for nearly a day. The horse's movement, as they galloped through the lands, was making me motion sick. The blurring outlines of trees going by as we galloped past didn't make me feel any better.

'What do you mean?' I ask Edwin, as I breath in to stop myself from hurling. Once I've finally succeeded, Edwin begins to speak.

'Apostles, servants of gods, who later become gods themselves after 1000 years, are given tremendous amounts of powers, accompanied by several consequences, in order to maintain the balance in Astra in our world.' Edwin explains to me the principles and workings of an apostle. 'As the apostle of Shura, Lady Rendel is gifted with the power of darkness and death, which in turn eats away at her sanity and sense of individuality in exchange for the power to manipulate darkness and the ability to kill.'

'In other words, there are times when she is forced to do things out of her own will.' Illian adds on.

'That's...cruel...' I comment, as the events from the other day played in my mind, something she did willingly. That I was very sure of.

'There's a lot more things you, and even us, don't even know about her, but it's safe to say that her life isn't as pleasant as most would interpret it.' Edwin speaks with a subtle voice.

Oh, you'd be surprised, Edwin.

'Astrael gives and takes.' Illian adds on once again. Astrael is the creator and guardian of Astra, as well as part of and the ruler of the supreme five deities who've created everything we see today, according to the books Zephyr urged me to read during my stay at the Elf Village. 'He will not reason with anything or anyone. Only his twin sister can rival him in terms of ability.'

'The ability to take away every given gift by the supreme deities. Indeed, it is a tremendous ability and I'm glad they both don't exist anymore.' Edwin sighs in relief.

'Lord Shura exists, idiot.' Illian comments, causing me to cringe after what recently happened, whilst Edwin ruffles his muddy-green hair and laughs. I grab hold of the pendant, which lay underneath my brown knee-length cloak that I was wearing to keep warm, as it hung from my neck. It emitted heat to my touch, as well as a pulse, causing me to shiver, as it reminded me that I was housing one of the five supreme deities. I honestly didn't want to recall what happened the other day, ever since I had formed a contract with Shura. Too much has happened to me in such a short amount of time, more than a normal person can handle. I'd like to consider myself normal, but my features said otherwise. I, at first, thought Rendel was generous, but I'm starting to think otherwise.