2| Bourbon

"Does it still hurt?" I asked looking down at Percy's now wrapped up leg.

He also looked down at his injured leg and moved it around a bit as if to get a better look at it. "Can't tell. They gave me some good drugs. So for now, I feel really good."

"Mind sharing some of it?" Oliver winked.

Percy turned his attention to the redhead sitting in the corner and just shook his head, chuckling as he said, "I don't know about all that now."

"After all we have been through." The redhead frowned.

I rolled my eyes at both of them. They always manage to try and make the most of a bad situation. They can pretend like Percy's injury wasn't a big deal, but there was nothing funny about the fact that he was going to be out of commission for a while. The bullet thankfully didn't do as much damage as it could have, but it tore up enough muscles to where he will need a lot of physical therapy before he could return. Thinking about it made me feel even more guilty which was why I felt like I had to apologize every other minute.

"Percy, I know you don't want me to say anything, but I really am sorry."

"Stop." The large man held his hand up. "You don't have to do that.

"I do," I nodded. "If I had been more careful . . . you wouldn't be in this situation."

"You make it sound like a bad thing. I'm just sitting here."

"In a hospital bed with morphine running through your system because you just got shot," I corrected.

He pursed his lips. "Well, when you put it that way." He then cleared his throat and added, "But really, Kumar. It's fine. It could have gone a lot worse."

I didn't want to think about what he meant by that, but naturally, my mind traveled down the dark road.

"Maybe," I agreed. "I still could have done some—"

But before I could get out my next string of apologies and self-critique, the sound of someone knocking at the door interrupted me. We all turned to see a familiar man with peppered hair dressed in a dark grey suit walking in. It took less than half a second for us to register who it was. And when we did, we all perked up.

"Director Redclaw," I greeted.

Our division's Assistant Director Joel Redclaw sent us a gentle smile. "Good evening, Agent Kumar. And Lawson and Bailey."

The two men nodded in their own greeting.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you all. I was just stopping in for a few things. " Director Redclaw turned his smile to Percy. "How is the leg?"

"It could be worse," Percy informed although I knew if he wasn't drugged up he would think differently.

"Good, good. Glad to hear it. Although I wish it didn't happen, at least we know you'll make a full recovery."

"And he has an excuse to eat all the ice cream he wants now," Oliver smirked. Always trying to lighten the mood.

"Yes. Well, I suppose that is true. Anyway, while I'm here," he looked at me, "do you mind if I have a word with you for a moment, Agent Kumar?"

And there it was. The real reason why he was here. To scold me for my sloppy work. If it wasn't for me, he wouldn't have an agent down. Although I knew that the conversation we were about to have wasn't going to be pretty, I still got up from my chair and said, "Of course, sir."

"Excellent." He then turned on his heel and together we walked out of Percy's room. Oliver sent me an encouraging thumbs up before I left, but I had a feeling that wasn't going to help.