Jasper #1

You can't sleep.

.

I can't breathe. The branches and leaves snap in my face as I blindly stumble through the trees, using the trunks to propel myself forward. My feet are thundering on the floor, panic tears flood my eyes as my breathing becomes more ragged. Any minute now I'm going to have to stop to calm my racing heart and then the grounder is going to catch me. A root sticks out of the ground and catches my foot, flipping me in the air and I yell as my body makes contact with the floor. Now I really can't breathe. I roll over, my lungs desperately seeking any bit of oxygen. I press my fist into my chest as my rasps become uncontrollable and I stare into the sky. My view soon becomes obstructed as a knife is pressed against my throat and a man glares down at me. I scream, hoping anyone anywhere will hear me or at least know that - 

"Hey, hey! Wake up! You're just dreaming." Rough hands are pulling me up by my arms and shaking me desperately. I open my eyes and take a big gulp of air, feeling like I haven't had a decent breath in ages. I begin to cough, and the hands now cradle me against their body and run a comforting hand up and down my back. I pull back, pushing with my hand against their chest. 

"Jasper." I sigh in relief. If it had been anyone else, it would have been so embarrassing, but I know that he'll understand. He'll understand the nightmares. I let the tears fall freely know, knowing that I won't be judged. 

"Hey, it's okay. You're safe." He pulls me back into his arms.

"I can't sleep." I hiccup, trying to get the words out, trying to make him understand but not able to get past the sobs. "Every time I close my eyes-"

"Trust me I know. Come on, get back into bed." With Jasper helping, I manage to crawl back into my makeshift bed and bring the covers up to my chin. Panic surges within me and I reach out for him. "Don't worry." He says, taking my hand. "I'm not leaving you, I remember all of the nights you helped me." I offer a shaky smile, and squeeze his hand in thanks. He smiles now, breaking out onto his face, giving the tent a blast of sunshine and making his chocolate eyes twinkle. He looks over his shoulder, and starts to pull a stool towards him.

"Don't be ridiculous." I say, once I've worked out what he's trying to do. I move over in bed, and gesture for him to lie down next to me. His eyes bulge at what I'm suggesting and I can't help but let out a little laugh. "Seriously, it'll make me feel so much better." He nods slowly and gets into the bed with me.

For a while we lay like that, both staring up at the ceiling, both trying to act like us being this close isn't a big deal. But then he falls asleep. And I can turn over and really look at him. I was telling the truth, him being here does make me feel so much better. His soft, brown hair falls down over his face and I watch in fascination as his eyelashes brush against his face; I'd never noticed how long they were. Then suddenly he moves, rolling over so we're facing each other. Only not really, because he's still asleep. I close my eyes, smiling, knowing that I won't be having any more nightmares tonight. 

When I wake up in the morning, my head is on his chest and his arm is wrapped around my waist, pulling me into him. He feels warm, he is warmth, he is my personal sunshine and around him I'm not afraid of the darkness.