Chapter '15 ish'

Maps and things is next chapter... and coming extremely soon...

What is the measure of the common man? No deeds to share. No gifts to compare. When all I have rests on ticking hands, I will have my ways, descent delayed.

– Gavin Dunne

------

"We're routed! Out of the valley! Out of the fucking valley!" – "They aren't using visible attacks! There is no magic to track!" – "There is no way to track them. Run for your goddamned lives!"

The screams of death and fear broke the night in southern Zygog. Arrows released from well-oiled bowstrings rained death upon the unsuspecting Alysian soldiers making camp. One Master Sergeant, an adept in the Wind and Lightning elements of magic, created walls of wind when he figured that Kolden was using physical arrows rather than magic to sneak attack the Alysian forces. He was no Elemental Master, but he could protect his company as best he could. But the Koldish saw the Sergeant, and adjusted. The few dragoon knights with this force, many were spread out amongst the army masses to allow quick messaging with allied forces, were slaughtered with actual magic from kamikaze Koldish mages before they even took flight.

"Colonel Guillaume!" A scout came running up to the one Frandish commanding militant in the Alysian-Grounded Elothian bulk force, and the only one who was trying to assert some control over the situation. "5th, 2nd, and 1st Companies of the 4th Brigade have broken and are fleeing to the north!"

"Through the Euli pass!?" The Colonel yelled back over the screaming din. The soldier blanked. Colonel Guillaume de Robért studied every crevasse and stream on every current map of Zygog he could lay his hands on in the past year, as he did with every country on the continent. This was the reason him and a company of Frandish knights were with the Alysians and grounded Elothians.

"Yes Sir!" The soldier yelled back. Col. Guillaume paled as he turned north.

"The routed companies are heading right for the Thay river." Guillaume whispered. The frantic soldier beside him leaned close in, trying to get a few words of wisdom he could pass to his fellow troops in this time of need. "HEADING RIGHT FOR THE THAY RIVER!" Guillaume yelled in panic as he mashed his combat hat, signifying to fellow troops that he was a superior officer, to his head, one of the few items of clothing he still had on. "SEND THE REST OF 4th BRIGATE AFTER THEM FOR SUPPORT! We don't have the time to bring them back!"

A thousand balls of fire went up in the sky and exploded, cast from the mages who had enough wherewithal to make sure the enemy could be seen. The night was lit to day for one and a half seconds exactly. But enough for Colonel Guillaume to imprint what he saw into his mind. The Koldish archers focused arrow fire where the magic had originated, silencing many mages of fire.

The entire hillsides, both north and south of the army, were covered in moving shapes. Be it a trick of the light, foul play, or just damned luck... the southern hillsides had less movement. Colonel Guillaume gave no other thought as he yelled for the army to form up. They were going to fight a horrible uphill battle to the south, hopefully to drive off the archers from the battle. Then move the force to the other edge of the three way valley and drive off the northern flank of the enemy. But moving thousands of thousands of men and women in combat order was no easy task.

Especially when to do anything more than rally troops, Guillaume would have to find General Sittig. And the man refused to have his officers in one centralized area. Many would die this night, Guillaume thought as he sprinted through the chaos around him for the location of the General's tent.

------

The Koldish forces simultaneously attacking the Frandish troops more to the north of Zygog took a more magical approach against the heavily armored knights that went to rest in their chainmail. The Alysian camps were set up in a many command center format. This allowed the General to have a spread-out area of communications with officers relaying him or her specific information throughout the battle field. While this was good for 'SOME' instances of defensive fighting. It was not anywhere near simple enough to combat a force that had both attacked them in the dead of night, and sneak attacked them when they the defenders were not ready.