Stay Tight

"FIRE ALL!" Colonel Packard's voice rang out, snapping Jocelyn out of her shocked state. She could hear the chatter of the men as she quickly moved to situate herself at James' feet so she could lean out of the aircraft and fire her weapon. James couldn't help himself but to grip onto her, ensuring both of them she wouldn't fall out of the chopper.

"Pull out now, pull out!" James yelled, terror evident in his voice.

"I don't take orders from you!" The pilot responded, all the while Jo fired rounds at the large primate. She was hitting her target but nothing seemed to faze him. She focused on her task, watching as helicopter after helicopter fell from the sky. She watched men die, heard their screams of terror and pain as the large animal screamed in territorial threat.

Before she knew it, James was calling for someone to watch out as a body slammed into their windshield and rolled into the blades. James acted quickly and latched onto his wife, hauling her into his lap as he attempted to secure her body to his own since there was no time to get her buckled in.

"PREPARE TO CRASH!" The pilot warned as the aircraft fell through the sky and into the trees. "BRACE!"

Jo secured her arms around James in freight, holding onto him with intense strength as his arms wound around her to anchor her to him. They fell through the jungle, nose first before cashing onto the unknown soil. The impact knocked out Jo, who's neck could have snapped, James clutching her as if his life depended on this woman who laid limp in his arms.

Mason stumbled her way out of the craft, Slivko following before turning and taking Jocelyn carefully from James' arms. He laid her on the ground as the Captain clambered out of the mangled piece of metal. Nieves stumbled out, moving to sit down and gather his thoughts.

James was at Jo's side immediately, watching as she twitched awake, groaning as a pain shot through her head. He cradled her gently in his lap, rubbing soothing circles around her temples as she came to.

"James?" She whispered, squinting her eyes open.

"It's me, love," He reassured gently.

"We crashed?"

"Indeed. But we're all okay, for the most part."

Jo nodded gently as her eyes opened fully as she looked around the sky. She held onto James as he assisted in raising her up, allowing her to sit for a few moments as he got up to survey their area. Taking hold of a pair of binoculars, Jo remained seated on the ground next to Mason, who sat on a piece of broken chopper.

Poor Slivko was desperately trying to reach his comrades.

"Calling all units, is anyone airborne? I repeat, is anyone airborne?"

"They're all down," James informed with a sigh as he returned to their little group. "Everyone. We're on the south side of the island, there's a river a couple of clicks from here. If we stick to it's banks, we'll make it to the exit sight on the north shore."

James moved towards Jo and helped her up, keeping an arm around her waist as she situated her weaponry properly.

"And then what?" Nieves asked. "All our choppers are down."

"We'll find a way to signal a ship, they'll send a search party, we just have to make it by the exit window."

"Ahhhh," Nieves muttered in fear. "I should be sitting at a desk."

"So, wait, are we just not going to talk about this?!" Slivko asked in near hysteria. 

"My best guess is that we're scattered over a 45 mile radius. We should head north and join anyone we find," James spoke, walking back over to Jo and Mason after he left their side to speak to Nieves. "Are you alright?"