Chapter 3: Rogue

Thornpaw sadly padded into the apprentice's den. She quietly figured out how she would tell her clan about Dawnpaw. She wouldn't. She would let them think whatever they liked while she knew the truth. Then, Thornpaw quietly curled up and went to sleep, praying that Dawnpaw would be alright.

* * * * *

Dawnpaw looked up at the rising sun as she padded through the unknown forest.

I wonder how long I should stay out here, maybe till New Leaf. That way, I can prove to my clan that I am a great hunter, and I can fight whatever necessary!

Dawnpaw perked her ears and crouched low to the ground, listening for the slightest sound.

*crack*

Dawnpaw smelled the air and froze. She looked up and saw a thick beech tree and quickly climbed it, hoping that the scent she smelled was a mistake.

As she sat on a branch, Dawnpaw looked down to see a grey she-cat walking underneath her. Dawnpaw then leaped off the tree, landing on the rogue.

Unexpectedly, the she-cat rolled onto her back quickly and kicked Dawnpaw off, launching her into the side of the tree.

Dawnpaw, dazed, laid down and stared at the rogue, hissing.

"Who are you!?" the grey cat snapped.

Dawnpaw glared at the stranger but decided to go with it.

"My name is Dawnpaw, and I am from Fireclan, who are you?"

"My name is Frost. I am a rogue and I live in this forest along with a friend." Frost replied, trying to act nicer.

Dawnpaw quickly looked up at the she-cat and stared at her sky-blue eyes.

"What friend? Who is with you?" Dawnpaw questioned, smelling the air.

Frost looked at her and sighed.

"If you want to meet her, you have to promise not to freak out or attack her, okay?"

Dawnpaw nodded and waited as Frost walked off to retrieve her friend. A few moments later, Frost returned.

"So, where is she?"

Frost looked behind her and flicked her tail.

Out of the shadows, a reddish pelt flashed and disappeared. Then, the red pelt gleamed and settled down next to Frost.

Dawnpaw looked up and held back a screech.

Next to Frost, was a fox.

"Your best friend is a fox?!"

Frost nodded and looked at Dawnpaw.

"Yes, but she's not just your average fox. She can speak different languages and knows your customs."

Dawnpaw looked at the fox in amazement.

"So, umm, what's your name?"

The fox looked at Dawnpaw and nodded it's pointy head. "My name is Nova, and I am a fox, as you know."

Dawnpaw's mouth gaped open in shock.

"How in Starclan can you speak that cleanly?!"

Nova looked at Frost and smiled.

"Well young one, I have been studying the ways of your kind as well as many others for a very long time. Probably longer than you've been alive."

Dawnpaw nodded and looked around.

"So, can I hang out with you guys? I left Fireclan because they treat me like crowfood and the only cat who cared about me was Thornpaw..."

Frost looked up quickly and cocked her head.

"You left your best friend because your clan treated you terribly?"

Dawnpaw nodded.

"Yes, and I don't want to go into further detail."

Nova nodded and looked towards Frost.

"Come, she is an apprentice. It wouldn't be wise to leave her out on her own to fend for herself."

Frost nodded and looked back at Dawnpaw.

"Okay, but you'll need to help us out. For example, make sure you hunt with us and fight for us. Oh, and are you thinking about going back at some point?"

Dawnpaw thought about it again and looked at her paws.

"Umm, I think I'll head back to Fireclan during New Leaf."

Frost, confused, looked at Nova.

"New Leaf is spring."

Frost smiled and flicked her ears.

"Okay, well, let's get going and we'll show you the den."

Dawnpaw jumped to her feet and trailed behind Frost and Nova.

* * * * *

Thornpaw opened her eyes to see the first rays of dawn dancing in camp.

"Well, I guess I should accept that she's gone and move on." she whispered.

As she sleepily padded out of the den, Thornpaw saw Featherstar quickly pacing around talking to Foxtail. Thornpaw turned her head so that she could hear the conversation.

"Foxtail, where is Dawnpaw? I told you that you had to focus on training her today and do it with compassion!"

"She's gone, I looked everywhere for her and nothing!"

Featherstar nodded and flicked her tail.

"Well, send out a search party for her, NOW!"

Foxtail nodded and ran towards the warrior's den.

Good, at least no one will find her until she comes back. Don't worry Dawnpaw, I'll make sure that your secret never comes out.