Chapter Ten

My transition into being a Memento Mori was not the smoothest one I’ve ever made.

The next morning, Caitlin accompanied me to Theo’s apartment to get my things.  Luckily, he’d rushed on getting me the communication equipment, so it was easy enough to hide the headsets and radio-like monitor in with my box of spare computer parts.  Between that box, all of my clothes, and the other things I owned that Theo had brought over from my motel room, it only took us one trip.

Once everything was in my room at the apartment and Caitlin was sure I was sufficiently settled in, I locked the door behind her and stayed in my room for hours.  I didn’t want to go out there.  I was safe alone, away from the six most dangerous people in New Vaile.

I was also hungry, as it turned out.  Cursing myself for not thinking to bring some food from Theo’s, I slowly poked my head out of the door to check if there were any Memento Moris outside and instead found a sandwich, a bag of chips, and a small, folded piece of paper.  I glanced around but no one was there.  I grabbed the sandwich and brought it back into my room, unfolding the note as I went.

I didn’t want to bother you about dinner, so I brought you a sandwich instead.  Feel free to join us whenever you feel welcome.  Until then, there will always be food outside of your door.

-Caitlin

A nice gesture, but one that would be ineffectual on me.  I didn't want anything to do with these people and I was certain they were only being nice because I was a new employee.  I climbed up onto my bed, crossing my legs as I plopped down among the lush pillows.

I pulled out my cell phone and dialed Theo’s number as I examined the contents of the sandwich.  Ham, cheese, mayo, lettuce, and tomato.  Pretty basic.

After a second, Theo picked up the phone.  “How was your first day?” he asked.

“Eh, I didn't do a lot,” I said, peeling the tomato off the sandwich and placing it on the plate.  “Pretty lazy day.  I mostly stayed in my room.”

“They're confining you to your room now?  That's a lot of caution…”

“Nah, I wanted to, you know?  I mean, between missing you and the new job and not being able to be home, I just felt...well, safer in my room, I guess.”  There was no response from Theo.  “Baby?” I asked after a minute.

“Justice, how am I supposed to be able to learn more about the Memento Moris if you absolutely refuse to go out and talk to them?” he said, his voice steadily rising in volume until he was practically shouting.  “I need you to interact with them.  Befriend them.  Find out what makes them tick.  Get me their names.  Find a way to sneak pictures.  Everything you can get me, I need it.”

“That's not fair,” I said, bolting upright.  “I'm the one starting the new job here and I think that I should get some time to adjust to my new...position.”

“You took today.  That's it.  I expect real information tomorrow.”

“I don’t know how to do that without seeming…” I was about to say ‘suspicious’, but I glanced up at the camera in the corner of my room.  “Impolite.  I really want to be friends with everybody who works here.”

Theo sighed.  “Okay, if you need ideas, here’s what I can offer you...

The next day, I woke up extra early, made some breakfast, grabbed my laptop, and plopped myself down on the couch in the den.  I was toying around with some parameters of a program I was working on when Helix walked in the front door.  “Oh, Justice,” he said.  “I didn't expect anyone to be awake this early.”