Chapter 5: Lord Voldemort

As I recall, 16 years went by so fast. It was as if yesterday was when I had taken Violet and laid her in a cot by my bedside. 

That very night of the Potters death, I had returned to my mansion, and summoned Severus immediately. He was extremely loyal to me, and he would be able to help me handle this situation.

Within a minute or so, a quick rap at the door, and Severus appeared.

"You called, my Lord?"

"Severus, I killed the Potters," I said in a monotonous voice, trying not to sound weak-in-the-knees as I thought about Violet sleeping soundly in her cot.

"All of the Potters?" Severus asked inquiringly.

"I couldn't, the curse rebounded and had hit me. I am too weak," I responded to his solemn yet questioning expression.

Fear flashed in his eyes, and he quickly turned his head to hide his pain.

"I didn't kill the boy and the girl," I said, and I sunk to the floor as Severus sighed a relief and sent for a vial of some potion for my strength.

I then told him of Violet and how I couldn't leave her in the ruins all alone and by herself. I told him how her eyes flashed bravery and how she rushed into my arms and fell asleep. Severus rushed to my bedside to the cot where Violet was laying, and rested his hand on her midnight spidery hair. I could definitely see the bond that Severus wanted to have with this child, so I offered it to him.

I was too weak to take care of Violet while she was at such a tender age. But, Severus, he would definitely take care of her as his own, despite his indifferences with James, but alongside his affection for Lily.

I didn't want to leave Violet. She knew no one else. I had admitted to myself from that day that even though I was a murderous buffoon only a few hours ago, Violet transformed me into a caring, warm, and affectionate being. For the couple hours I held her in my arms, I grew intensely fond of her, and especially how her eyes lit up when they gazed at me. Severus was the only one that I trusted, and I know he will never let me down. But will I let myself down by leaving Violet, for who knows, how many months?

A tear rolled from Severus' eye, and he swiftly wiped his face as I cleared my throat.

"Severus, I want you to take care of her, Violet, while I'm gone," I managed to wheeze.

"I am too weak at the moment, and she must be taken care of properly. You will be her teacher and guide. I'll be back in a few months, but she needs you. And Severus, do not mention to her anything about James and Lily. I don't ever want her to feel lost, and for her to discover that her 'father' is a disgusting murderous slayer," I continued softly.

"Never take her out of this mansion, and never ever reveal to her of last nights events."

I walked I rested my scrawny palms on Violet's round cheeks, and admired her sleeping form. I was so mesmerized by her calmness and her soft breaths as she slept, that I didn't want to leave the moment, but life plays such rare occurrences with awfully limited time. 

I turned briskly, my cloak sweeping the floor. I needed to find some way to heal myself. I needed to become strong and powerful again, but how? And with a snap of my fingers, I was gone.