Chapter Three

Training sessions are held in the school cafeteria for anyone that is stupid enough to venture into the deep, dark forest to kill the Wolf.

I guess I'm one of those stupid people.

The training sessions are held every month. Usually, the people that attend are young, sometimes younger than me, to about my grandmother's age. We practice with swords, daggers, javelin, and, my favorite, bow and arrow. All of these weapons have blades made of silver; the Wolf's weakness. Then, a week before a full moon, the trainees all practice hunting and killing techniques in the forest so we can all get a real feel of what it would be like during the full moon.

Dad would never let me go to the training sessions, but he's to depressed to care. Besides, he and I both know he'd do the same thing if he were me.

Lily wanted, well actually begged, to come with me but there is no way I would. Like Rebecca said to me, I'm not gonna let my little sister die.

But I'm not gonna die like Becca did either.

When I enter the building, there's not as many people as I thought it would've been. The others aren't surprised to see me there.

A boy that looks about 12 pats me on the back. "You gonna cut him open and rip out his heart, aren't you, Alexandria?" The other men cheer in agreement.

"No mercy," I grin and for a split second, I feel like a crazy person.

We all stand against the right wall and wait for the training master or as I call him, Dad. Obviously, Dad isn't gonna be here and I think everyone else knows that because one person shouts out, "Let's just start!"

Everyone heads towards the weapons and begin throwing, slicing, and tackling the props or, for entertainment, each other.

I instantly go for the bow and arrow and just as my hand is about to grab the bow, a paler, more scarred hand gets to it first.

"Hey." It's Viker and he seems happier than usual.

"Oh, hi Viker," I mumble.

"Did I scare you," he asks grinning.

"No," I lie. "C'mon give it." I reach for my bow but Viker just backs away and laughs.

"But I grabbed it first," he says.

I reach for it again, but Viker backs farther away. I reach again, but he grabs my wrist. "You gotta be quicker than that, Alex." His grin irritates the crap out of me.

"What's your problem," I ask still in his grip.

"Nothing. This is all for training." Viker slings the sheath around his shoulder. "If you want it come and get it."

"Why?" I cross my arms.

"Speed," He says. "I'm obviously faster than you. So, if want this weapon, try and take it from me."

"What," I ask.

"Just pretend I'm the Wolf. And you want to rip my head off."

What the hell? I roll my eyes and hold out my hand. "Whatever. Just give me my weapon."

"Fine." Viker tosses it to me. "Let's see ehat you can do. Go stand over there and try to hit me with an arrow."

I raise an eyebrow. "What? Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Just do it," he reassures me.

I do as told and stand in shooting position. I wait for Viker to get to the other side of the shooting range. He stands there for a moment, taking deep breaths. I take a few deep breaths myself before I feel my fingers release on an arrow. Viker dodges it and it hits the wall. "Again!"

I shoot many arrows, but each time, I miss. Viker is too quick, too stealthy. My anger populates my concentration and I end up shooting the ceiling which is no where near Viker.

"You're not being the Wolf," he shouts. "You're not foocused on what you want!"

Well, I don't want to be the Wolf. It killed my mother, my sister, and it tried to kill me. It terrifies my friends and haunts me in my dreams. I never want to be the Wolf. The Wolf must die!

I release my last arrow and hear a disturbing twing!

"Aaahhh!" Viker curled on the floor clutching his calf tightly. Blood leaks from the wound and stains his paints.

Call me evil, but I cheered. "Yes! Finally! I am the Wolf!" Everyone either stares at me or Viker while those that stare at me clench there weapons tightly.

"I'm not really the Wolf, calm down," I announce.

"What was I thinking," Viker grunts painfully. I almost forgot about him and instantly feel guilty. I run toward him and try to comfort him.

"Oh my gosh! Are you OK?"

"Leave me alone!" Viker screams. His face is tomato red and his eyes are dark and menacing. It's terrifying to see Viker like this. He pulls the arrow out of his leg and three men carry him out.

***

Viker still attended school the next day and acts as if yesterday didn't happen. When see him walk into class with a bandage around his leg, I embrace him tightly.

"Oh Viker. I am so sorry," I exclaim.

"Hey, Alex. Don't worry about it," He says. "All I need is a pencil."

"Like for real! I didn't mean to hurt you. Honest!" Viker interrupts me with a light kiss on the cheek which causes my face to turn as red as my cloak.

"It's alright. You did good. Besides, it didn't hurt that bad."

"Liar, you should've seen yourself. You act worse than my sister does when the seller runs out of muffins. And she's a monster when she doesn't get her muffins."

Viker laughs. "OK whatever. Now, about that pencil."