Chapter Five

I stumble into the house to see my dad sitting on the couch, giving me a monster glare. "Where the hell were you, Alexandria," he asks more yelling than anything.

"OK, Dad. I get it, I'm in trouble. But it's not my fault!"

Dad interrupts me like he always does. "You were supposed to be home hours ago!"

Just as I was going to tell him what I had seen last night, Lily comes trampling down the stairs and leaps into my arms. "Alex! I'm so glad your home!"

"You see? Even your sister was worried," My dad argues.

"Dad your not listening," I exclaim.

"You're all dirty," Lily notes, looking at my dress.

"Yes you are," Dad agrees. "Go wash up. We'll talk about this later."

This is so aggravating. I don't have time for Chief Dad; I need Dad Dad to just listen to me. I know who the Wolf is and all he cares about is the muck on my cheeks.

I stomp upstairs to the bathroom which is basically just a closet with a bucket of water. Lily follows me and helps me wash up. While she wipes my face with a damp towel, she asks, "What took you so long?"

I chuckle, "Would you believe me if I told you?"

"I don't know." Lily scrubs behind my ear.

"I- I saw the Wolf. I mean, I know who he is."

Lily drops the towel in the water and stares at me in disbelief. "The Wolf is a he?"

"Yeah. And I saw him last night." I stand and wrap myself in a towel. "It's Viker."

Lily tilts her head. "Who?"

"It doesn't matter. What matters is that I know who the Wolf is. All I have to do is prove it."

"And when you do," she asks.

"I'll kill him. I have to." I have to.

***

"Alright class. Turn to page 217," The teacher announces while writing on the board.

Viker taps me on the shoulder. "Psst. Alex, can I borrow a pencil?"

"I can't believe you actually think I forgot," I hiss.

"I didn't say that, I just asked for a pencil."

I turn toward him. "I'm not doing anything for you. Not until you admit it."

Viker shakes his head. "I just want a pencil."

"I hear talking when I shouldn't be," The teacher shouts while still looking at the board.

"Alex-" he whispers.

"Shut up."

"We can talk later. In private. Just not now."

"I hate you."

I heard him laugh. "Sure you do."

And with that the bell rang and everyone almost trampled the teacher trying to get out the door. Viker grabs hold of my wrist. "Can we talk, Alex?"

"Let go of me," I grunt. "And only if you admit it."

"Fine! I'm the Wolf! Happy now, Alex? Are you gonna kill me now?" Viker shouts aggressively and his eyes turn pitch black; like a demonic being ready to attack.

I've wanted him to admit it. Ever since I had seen him change into the demi-wolf, I knew what he was; what I would have to do to stop all of these murders. When he denied it, I was so angry. Now, that he has admitted it, I'm the one in denial.

Viker was my friend, my only friend. He killed my family. I wanted to kill the Wolf all my life. Viker is the Wolf and I don't believe it. I wanted to kill him, but now...

Viker laughs at the shocked expression on my face. "You promised you would kill the Wolf. Well, here I am."

"But, but-" I stammer.

"Listen Alex. I'm sorry. I really am. I didn't choose to be this way." Viker turns away from me as his eyes begin to water. "I want to die. I want to stop hurting people. So, if your gonna kill me..." He stops himself.

"Viker," I start. "I can't."

"You said you would!" Viker grabs my shoulders and begins to shake me. "You have to! Please! I can't live like this anymore!"

"Viker," I whimper. I wish he wasn't the Wolf. I wish the Wolf didn't exist. I wish I never had seen him change.

Viker growls and lets me free. He takes his pack and heads out the door. I could hear his words echo over and over in my mind. I can't live like this anymore! Neither can I. So, why can't I just kill him? We were friends, but we were never close. He's just a kid that can never bring a pencil to school.

So why can't I kill him.

I hate you.

Ha, sure you do.

He's right. I don't hate him. I can't kill him because I...

***

My house smells like soup and chicken. Mmm. Lily sits at the kitchen table sipping the broth from a small wooden bowl.

"Hey Lily," I mumble before dropping face down on the couch. "Where's Dad?"

"Out. At a village meeting," she answers. "What's wrong with you?"

"Lily, do you know how to use a shotgun? Or any weapon really?"

Lily's eyes widen. "No. Why?"

"I just don't know if I'll be able to do it."

"Do what?"

"Kill him."

Lily leaves the table and sits on the couch beside me. "Well, don't worry. That's Daddy's job. Besides, you said that Villar kid didn't mean much to you anyway."

I look up at Lily and stroke her hair. "Yeah. That was before. Now..."

"What?"

"You'll know when your older." I kiss her forehead and head upstairs to my bedroom. The moon shines in my room and off of my mirror. The next full moon is a week away.

The Wolf will be in the forest in a week. Viker.

I can't kill him because... because I love him.