Chapter 1

Chapter 1

________________________________________________________________________________

King D. Soras was just a normal marine officer. Him and his friend Jiren were stationed in the small island city of Enzo with a marine base just outside of town. The captain of the base was a very fierce man who just so happened to hate both Jiren and Soras even more than his unparalleled hatred for pirates. Soras and Jiren were strong, and they knew it, so they tended to train and relax rather than bother on the daily chores that Captain Ponga tried to order them to do. Even so there were none more loyal to the marines than them, there was even a rumor around the base that if anyone attempted to betray or desert the military that they would be executed instead so as to stop any secrets from the marines being leaked.

"Hey, come on Captain Ponga ordered us to patrol the island today and if we aren't back by four, he's gonna make us clean his statues as well." Jiren said as he approached Soras who was laying in his bunk.

Soras was only eighteen but had a physique most men dreamed of. He was tall, six-foot-two, lean, and muscular. His hair was short, spiky, and black, much like a messy bed head. Soras stood up and groaned, though he was already dressed in his usual marine outfit, he was still hoping to put off his work. "Screw Captain Ponga, it's like six in the morning. I'm getting breakfast." Soras told Jiren as he stood up.

"It's nearly noon, you can eat when we get back." Jiren corrected him.

"Its noon already? Shit! Fine, let's go." Soras relented with a sigh.

Jiren had his usual musket and a cutlass strapped to his waist. Soras quickly strapped on his holster and placed his flintlock pistol in it before grabbing his own cutlass. Though Soras hadn't been in too many fights in his military career as he far preferred close combat to ranged fighting. As he prepared to leave, Soras couldn't help but feel a certain sense of dread. Probably best to skip the cafeteria today. I might get food poisoning otherwise. Soras thought.

"Alright Jiren, let's get going. If we have to clean those statues, I might just break them all instead." Soras told his friend as they walked down the hallway heading out of base,

Jiren chuckled. "If we break the statues then Ponga would arrest us for treason." Jiren joked.

"Yeah, though if he tried than I might just have to kick his ass." Soras joked as they left the base.

"You couldn't beat Captain Ponga if he was in a coma, much less while he was pissed off at you." Jiren replied with a smirk.

"Hey now, I think you may be underestimating me."

"I don't think so, and I'm smarter than you so I'm pretty sure I'm right."

"Who the hell says you're smarter?"

"Everyone in the base." Jiren replied with a smirk.

"Well if you're smarter than I'm better looking." Soras said confidently.

"Nope, I'm afraid I've got you beat there too."

"Well I know for a fact that I'm a better fighter than you."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night." Jiren said sarcastically as they reached the small island's beach.

Though the beach usually had a couple of civilians on it, today it was uninhabited. "Kinda warm, I expected there to be more people here." Soras said as they wandered the empty beach.

"Well we only have like 20 families houses on this island, maybe there was a birthday and everyone went to it." Jiren suggested.

"Maybe." Soras responded.