1

Josh POV

Tyler and I walked into the choir room, ending our conversation and going to our assigned seats. Why am I in choir, you might ask? Well, in the beginning of eleventh grade, Tyler and I made a deal that he would join me in band this year if I joined him in choir. Choir isn't too bad, but it isn't really my thing. I plopped down next to Ashley, my other friend I was lucky enough that the teacher put me next to her. "Hey," I said to her, since we see each other everyday it's not like anything big happens.

Ashley turned to me, "Hey, how's Ty doing?"

I shrugged, "He's fine."

"Are you sure, that breakup really got to his core."

I stiffened, "He's not crying everyday anymore, I think my tactic worked."

Ashley nodded thoughtfully, "What did you do?"

"I bought him three tubs of rocky road ice cream and we watched Disney movies on Netflix."

Ashley let out a small laugh, "Like those cliche chick flicks?"

I shrugged, "Yeah, but it worked."

Ashley nodded in agreement, "I can't believe Jenna broke up with him. They've been dating since seventh grade. The only reason Tyler's parents were okay with it was because they adored Jenna and Jenna's parents trusted Tyler with their lives because he was so innocent."

I nodded sadly, watching the rest of the eleventh grade choir started to fill the room. I glanced at Tyler, who was already looking at me. His eyes were a bit red from his last crying fit, and I gave him a reassuring smile. He offered a weak smile back and turned around as the teacher walked in.

As much as I hated seeing Tyler cry, there was something about his voice that becomes- what's the word? Richer. When he's trying to keep his voice strong when singing and it still cracks a bit.

"Get your head out of the gutter," Ashley giggled.

Oh crap, I said that out loud.

Anyways...........

"Well, it is true," Ashley looked at Tyler, deep in thought.

I shrugged, "I'm an honest drunk."

Ashley shot back in her seat, "Whoa, buddy. Not today, you're underage."

"I'm kidding," I whispered, as the teacher had started talking.

"One of the songs for our next concert," Mr. Mercury paused, shuffling through his papers. "Is a song I'm sure you all know. Hallelujah?"

Quite a few kids, to my surprise, murmured in recognition. My other friends in choir, Melanie, Patrick, and Brendon, shared matching Cheshire grins. Mr. Mercury sighed, "Does Shrek ring a bell?"

The class erupted into nods and exclamations of recognition. Mr. Mercury continued, "So there's going to be one soloist. Anyone volunteer?"

Tyler, Brendon, Melanie, Patrick and a few other kids raised their hands. Tyler glanced back at me and sent me a look that told me he wanted me to try out. I shook my head but raised my hand as well, looking at Ashley, "You're not going to try out?"