18

"He's awake," the nurse informed Kelly and her kids.  At this point, Zack had joined them and Jay was still with the neighbors.

The family stood up, following her to the room he was in.

"Now, for the sake of him," the nurse stated as they were just outside the room.  "Only one of you can go in at a time."

"Can I go in first," Maddy asked quietly, taking the nurse's hand when Kelly nodded, leaving Zack, Tyler and Kelly waiting outside the room.

The three sat in silence, listening in on the conversation and waiting their turn.

Kelly turnes to the boys, Tyler tensing more than Zack, and she whispered to Tyler, "Where were you when this started?"

Tyler looked down and whispered, "I was in my room talking to a friend.  When I hung up and got downstairs, Maddy came to me and said something was wrong with him."

Kelly sighed heavily, a look of dusappointment directed at Tyler in her eyes.

"Stop looking at me like that," he muttered.  "It was a heart attack, not something I could control.  You're lucky I got downstairs when I did or else he would probably be dead right now."

With each word that left his mouth, her face grew angrier and angrier.

"You little-"

"Who wants to see him next," the nurse asked, coming out of the room and interrupting the name calling.

"I'll go," Tyler volunteered, standing up and walking towards the room.  The nurse stopped him before he entered and said, "I'm gonna tell you the same thing I told your sister.  He's hooked up to a bunch of different machines, so it may be a little much and may look unsettling.  It's okay though.  All of those machines are what's gonna help him get back on his feet."

Tyler nodded and walked through the door, sucking in a sharp breath at the sight of the machines.  The moment the door closed, his dad turned his head, smiling softly at the sight of him.

"Hey," Chris whispered, waving his hand for Tyler to come closer. 

"Hey dad," Tyler replied quietly.  "How're you?"

Chris took in a deep breath and said, "I'm a little tired.  Still a little bit of pain, but I'm fine other than that."

Tyler nodded, taking a seat in the chair right next to the bed, the two men staying silent as the older man was exhausted and the younger didn't want to say anything to make him mad or seem stupid.

"I'm sorry," Tyler apologized, grabbing the attention of his father who, in response, squinted his eyes in confusion.

"Sorry for what?"

Tyler stayed silent, looking down at his lap, truly believing it was his fault.  He completely forgot what he had said to his mother, taking in her look.  She had been so disappointed in him, and he was tired of wondering why.  He was just tired of it all.

"Hey, Tyler," Chris whispered.  "Me being in here is not your fault.  There is nothing, nothing, you could have done to prevent this.  You hear me?"

Tyler nodded, looking up at his dad with tears in his eyes.  It became clear to both of them that he still didn't believe it.

Chris placed a gently hand on his son's shoulder, giving him a small smile.

"I love you, son," he told him.

"Love you too, dad."

Tyler left the room, his brother entering after him, and he sat in the cbair right next to his sister who was two seats down from their mom.

"Tylah, can you braid my hair," Maddy asked with a huge smile playing on her lips.

Tyler cracked a smile.  "Sure, Mads."

The girl squealed in excitement, sitting on her knees in front of her brother while he split her hair into three sections and started braiding it.  It didn't take long before it was finished.

"You got a hair tie," he asked his sister who pulled one off her wrist and handed to him.

"Thank you Ty," she exclaimed, turning around and hugging her brother tightly.  "I love you."

Tyler smiled, hugging his sister back and saying, "I love you too, Mads."