(3) Opening Ceremony

I sit on my bed, closing my eyes and singing sweet melodies

I sit on my bed, closing my eyes and singing sweet melodies. All the ones that William has ever taught me, and even the ones he made up when we were younger were coming out. I blew off, talking with Jaxton, mostly because if I am going to kill him, I don't need more memories to haunt me. I nearly cry when I think of home, my sister's curling up near my mom, and probably eating snacks Annie brings us. I'm glad my brother and her, loved each other. They deserved one another.

I dig into the drawers and pull out a large shirt and place it on after I stripped from my clothes. I climb into bed, placing my head in a pillow and closing my eyes as I stroke the sheets. I think about home, and wonder about Paige, wishing she was here to lay with me and tell me her stories. My little sister was the best. I love her dearly. The train becomes soothing, and I fall asleep.

***********************************************************************************************

"Today's a special day! Very, very important! Now get moving!" Mallory shouts.

I groan, as I look at the time. Only six, why must I be up this early? Can I never get a break? I force myself out of bed, and pick an outfit, since I want to look, normal, I go for a pink shirt, trousers and I let down my hair. I look tired and drained but honestly I need food. I enter the section of the train where I look at them all sitting, waiting for me. "Sit, I don't bite." Jamison Keene says.

I sit as far away from Mallory and Jamison, meaning I sit fairly close to Jaxton. They place a plate of food before me. Eggs, bacon, waffles, a pastry, and potatoes fried to perfection. There is a big tray of fruit and rolls, and a glass of water and milk.Mallory sends a glass of something my way and I can't tell what it is. I look up and shake my head but Mallory insists. "It's a custom, dear." Mallory says sweetly and I look at it and shake my head no.

"It's good. It's called hot cocoa, everyone drinks it during breakfast." Jaxton says, as he sips his own brown liquid.

I pick it up hesitantly and take a sip of it, and begin to eat. I stuff myself, and eat every bit, washing it down with hot cocoa and water, here and there. I overeat and I scrape the tiniest parts that I've missed, past my lips.

"Do you talk, honey?" Mallory asks and then I realize Jamison and him have never heard me speak. I nod and wipe my lips in the napkin. "Your friend speaks..why won'y you? Are you scared?" Mallory asks.

I shake my head no, and I realize how I must look. "Speak." Jamison says.

I feel like a wild dog that they're training but I give in. "I'm not afraid of you." I say soft enough for them to hear and they seem pleased. I guess I should use my words more often.

"Here are some more words, tell me how to stay alive." I spit harshly, anger in my voice and Jax holds my back, as if telling me to calm down.

"Watch it kid, I help you stay alive so don't be a brat." Jamison says, his voice deep and angry and I can tell Jaxton doesn't like this. "At least she has a chance, like most of your students, they end up dead." Jaxton defends me and he says something that pushes me over the edge. "Didn't I mentor your brother? He's dead too, yeah?" Jamison says and before Jax can tell me to calm down, I take the knife and throw it at his head. He ducks and laughs a little.