The Roof

Grace's P.O.V.

After another day of school Johnny, Pony, and I walk home.

I never got a chance to talk to Cherry about the breakup because I was late this morning. But she did promise to tell me tomorrow if I was on time.

Apparently she has an 'important dinner banquet for her dad's work to attend to this afternoon.'
I told her that her soc was showing and she wasn't amused but a promise is a promise.

I sit on the couch at the Curtis house across from Johnny.

We were watching TV but I can't focus on it. I just sit with my knees pulled up to my chin and keep staring at him.

Finally I stop looking back and forth and just straight up stare at him.

There is something on his mind or something bothering him I can just tell.

But he's hard to read.

I get lost in more of my thoughts trying to figure him out. So much so that I didn't notice that he was staring right back at me now in the same position and everything.
Mockingly.

I lock eyes with him and can't help but laugh. I have never seen him so amused.

"You know Grace, you're kind of scaring me." His voice is muffled from behind his knees.

I laugh again and remove my knees from my chin, "Whatcha thinking about?"

I catch him off guard and suddenly he looks confused,
"Nothing.. Why?"

"You're lying." I say squinting my eyes.

"No I'm not." He says squinting his eyes. Again mockingly.

"Are too." I persist.

"Are not." He says transitioning to lay down.

I make a split second decision to run over, get on top of him, straddle him, and pin his arms down.

For what reason, I can't say.

As soon as I do I stare into his eyes and he stares into mine.

Mine filled with awkward regret.
His filled with awkward nervousness.

I decide to make it less awkward,
"Johnathan Cadathan. You better tell me what's wrong or I won't release you."

Aaannd instead I manage to embarrass myself with a dumb name joke.

Which wasn't the slightest bit funny.

Baby steps, Grace, baby steps.

Johnny almost dies laughing, "What did you just call me?"

"Can we please just forget I said that, that was super embarrassing." I say rubbing the back of my neck with a dumb smile, "Hey how do I know if that is actually your real name? Do you have a birth certificate on hand sir?"

"Well ma'am I can't justify anything unless you have a warrant." He says playing along.

"Afraid I can't let you go for that either then sir." I say smirking.

"Well I don't min---"

I hear a large cough from behind us and it's Soda and Darry.

They look at us with confusion and awkward silence.

"Ok this is not how it looks guys." I say rolling my eyes.

I get off of Johnny and sit back where I was.

"Johnny just has something on his mind and he won't tell me so I had to use force."

I realize that kind of sounded bad and Soda's facial expression confirms it.