Part 7: Tour of Wisdom

I showered and dressed in a t-shirt, jeans, boots and a sports jacket. I put my hair in a low ponytail, and sat on my bed, waiting for Ian to meet me. I thought about leaving as soon as I was dressed, but this was his territory. Running had no point unless it was off property, and if I could pick up his scent, he definitely had mine.

A knock at the door sounded, and I got up. I went to the door, and opened it to see Ian, Vida and Cole in the hall.

"I thought we could use the company?" Ian shrugged.

I saw the bites on them. They'd marked each other...already? I felt my jaw tighten, and my teeth clench. I took a deep breath, and said, "Great." I stepped out into the hall. "Good morning."

"Almost afternoon, but," Cole cast a quick sideways glance at Vida before turning to say, "Good morning."

"Good morning, Amber!" Vida sang softly, pushing through Ian and Cole and hugging me. I knew this tone. It was the please don't be mad tone. I rolled my eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm really...." Her eyes rose to Cole's. "I'm absolutely wonderful."

"How lovely." I said, though it came out tightly. Ian took my hand, and I looked up at him. He kissed my temple, and after seeing Vida do the awwww expression, I found myself relenting. I had to try to go with the flow, no matter how uncomfortable I felt.

The castle was really something. The décor alone was awesome. We went to the kitchens to get brunch.

"Lara!" Ian smiled, opening his arms to her.

"Ha!" She turned her nose up at him. "Late again for a meal, and having your guests do the same!" She narrowed her eyes as she hugged him, and looked at us. "Did you know this boy would go tramping off in the woods for hours? Drove the entire household mad, it did! He'd come home naked and smiling with all kinds of brush in his hair--"

Ian rolled his eyes. "Lara, that was a long time ago!"

"Well," she tutted. "I did save you steak and biscuits. I'll warm that up and cook the eggs for you."

Ian hugged her again. "Thank you, Lara."

"Con artist," she teased. "Cole, you've found a mate?!"

"Yes, Lara, this is Vida."

Vida extended her hand. "Hi-whoa!" She was pulled into the woman's arms, and they laughed.

"Welcome!" Lara looked Vida over. "You need some meat on those bones!"

"Lara--"

"Shut up, Cole, or so help me I'll never make you another cinnamon bun!" Lara winked. "How do you like your eggs, sweetie?"

"Scrambled soft."

"Ah, soft and sweet and fluffy," she smiled. "I know about you, Cole. Over easy. A little cooked, but basically, raw." She gave a throaty laugh. "What are you in the mood for, Ian?"

"I don't know, surprise me."

"Oh, the reason for that indecision must be you," She pointed at me. "Oh, my, you're a strong one, I can tell." Lara looked at Ian questioningly.

"Yes, Lara, she's my mate."

"Oh!" She hugged Ian again, and then hugged me. "What's your name, honey? Must get to know all your favorites."

"I'm Amber."

"Amber? The only Amber I know of is...Kiana Amber of the Makya pack?" Her eyes widened in shock.