Part 10: Back at the Ranch

I was livid.
I'd kept my wolf in check, but this was it. I ran outside only to see that Amber was gone. I was definitely going after her, but first things first.
I strode back into the kitchen, where Mattie, Zach, and my parents remained. I went straight for my father.
"Well, Ian--"
I pulled his chair, and he fell backward. With wolf strength I effortlessly dragged him off it, grabbed him by his shirt front and pushed him against the wall. Everyone rose from the table, but didn't move otherwise. I silenced all pleas with a look and a growl.
"You." I snarled. "You never talk to her like that again! You don't talk about her again! Ever!"
"Ian-"
"Shut up!" I roared.
I heard footsteps but did not turn, then heard Vida's voice. "Dear Goddess!" She gasped.
I calmed down, releasing him, and lowered my voice. "She is my mate, and you will respect that."
"Alpha?"
I turned to Cole. "We are leaving. Bring your mate. Bring any wolf from Wisdom who has found a mate from Terra Prima."
************

I was relieved to come home

I was relieved to come home. I tried to believe that my tears were from how fast I drove but that wasn't entirely so. I just didn't want to admit it, not even to myself.
As I got further away from Wisdom, I felt weaker, even sick. A piece of knowledge shouldn't affect someone so much, but it does. It is said that when mates find each other, they bind in ways that defy imagination. We can be sick if we're far apart too long. We can become depressed, even. Damn it all, and damn him!

Yet a certain comfort came as I got closer to Terra Prima. The stretch of desert ended and I veered off the main road to a hidden one which opened up to a dirt one. It wouldn't be far now.
It was a long ride but I needed time to clear my mind. I wasn't going back to Wisdom anytime soon. Mattie and Zach could make great proxies. I sped the road through the circles and small villages, waving hello to some of my people who happened to be out enjoying sunset. It was a beautiful time of day.

As I finally neared my home, I saw a lot of lights on, even through the trees

As I finally neared my home, I saw a lot of lights on, even through the trees. I frowned. Not many should even be there. My heart began to race, and then I picked up an all-too familiar scent in the night air.
Oh, no...
I drove into the clearing where my home was. I looked in the driveway to see black SUVs and sedans parked in my driveway. As soon as I came into view, my sentries came out the door and filed in a line across the main entrance. I turned off my motor and swung off. Then I gave the war cry. "You might as well come out, Ian!" I called, taking lead position with my guards. "I can smell you a mile away!"

Not a minute had passed when the first car doors opened. It was Vida, the one white flag that could be offered to me.

"We're here!" Vida walked to me and hugged me. I slowly put my arms around her, watching Cole get out as well. He closed the door and stood, as did the driver of the car.

"I can see that, sweetie," I narrowed my eyes at her. "What is going on?"

Vida turned and more doors opened. I quickly recognized the women of Terra Prima and their new mates, each of them from Wisdom. I gave a nod in greeting, still not sure what was going on. The drivers came out, too, and stood.

Finally Ian came out. He looked as handsome as ever in his dark attire. He came near, making my pulse leap, not losing eye contact for a second. He took his place at the head of this entourage, standing before me, and then slowly came down on one knee. The entire group followed suit, but only he continued eye contact.

"Why are you here?" I asked gruffly, trying not to feel anything. I was trying to get away from him!

"You're my mate," he answered simply.

"I thought we agreed--"

"I agreed we had things to work out."

I took a deep breath. I caught him by the chin and raised it as I bent down to bring our faces closer together. "Go home, Ian!" I whispered.

"But, Amber," he gave a small smile. "I am home."