These Idiots Stole Mom's Idea, But It's Good Thanks To Annabeth (Percy)

Up until about 8 a.m., everything was normal.

Well, as normal as a day could be, for a 17-year-old demigod with ADHD, dyslexia, and slight separation anxiety, while being away from his girlfriend who's at her father's place at the other side of the continent. 

I wouldn't say holiday sucked. I just longed for Annabeth, Grover, and the others, I longed for camp, and I longed for action - something I thought I'd never say. Must be my ADHD. 

But I promised Annabeth I wouldn't get in trouble, and I was done with monsters and gods to fight anyway. I'd just like a friendly fist fight with Jason, or Clarisse. Though that would not be friendly. And Annabeth would scold me for getting in trouble. 

It was incredible how Annabeth had managed to come from San Francisco to New York at age seven, honestly. It still made me wonder how she isn't literally the toughest person alive, physically and emotionally. She was a seven-year-old demigod, after all - young, armed with only a hammer, and a possible target for mythological monsters.

But then again, after everything I've been through, you could say the same about me.

I was roughly shaken out of my excessive thinking during breakfast (which was amazing, and blue - my mom made her own bread with my stepdad, Paul Blofis) by my mother. We were going shopping - she'd warned me a week or two in advance, saying I couldn't live in my orange Camp Half-Blood shirt - but I didn't know the full story.

My mom, who now stood at about six months pregnant, which was still kind of weird to me, told me the buzzer of the apartment had been buzzing. I glanced up at her with a sigh and wondered why she didn't open it herself if it had to be opened so necessarily, but upon seeing her glance right back at me, I realised it was probably something I had to open anyway. 

I walked over to the intercom on my side - inside - and clicked the button to answer the 'call'. "Jackson household, Seaweed Brain speaking."

Only when the reply came, I noticed I'd called myself 'Seaweed Brain'. It's what Annabeth called me sometimes, less often now than when we were thirteen, but still. 

The reply was an all too familiar and stunningly beautiful laugh - and not just any. It was Annabeth's. I almost sobbed hearing the familiar sound, but I choked it back and opened the door immediately. "Come in, Wise Girl."

"Thank you, Seaweed Brain," she said, and I still saw her flash a smile at me through the camera. I smiled back, despite knowing she couldn't see me. I let go of the button as soon as she passed through the door of the apartment building and immediately opened the front door. 

As soon as Annabeth came through the door to the stairs, she bolted towards me, and I sprinted towards her. For weeks I'd been waiting to hold her in my arms again. For weeks I'd missed her and for weeks I hadn't been able to close my eyes in absolute worry. I knew she was strong, she'd retrieved the Athena Parthenos on her own, she'd survived Tartarus and what seemed like thousands of battles with thousands of monsters, with or without me, but I still wanted to protect her.

We'd gone through Tartarus. We had fought arai that cursed me to intense poison and horrible pain, but the physical pain I endured was nothing compared to the emotional pain I felt as the arai cursed Annabeth to eternal blindness and the belief that she had lost me forever. She struggled to find me, she needed me, but she was too far away from me, blinded and struggling.

I was more than glad when the friendly giant, Bob, came to save us, especially since he had learnt the truth about me having wiped his memory in the river Lethe, and I thought he hated me for it.

Ever since then, my worry for her had only grown.

"Oh, gods," I muttered, hugging her tightly. "I missed you, Wise Girl."