Park

Today’s weather is beautiful. The sky is bright blue and the few crisp white clouds are strewn across it. The sun is shining bright, baking my skin. It truly is a perfect day to go to the park.

Tessa, my thirteen year-old sister, and I were getting tired of being inside all week, so we decided to go out today. Well, she did; I usually don’t like to leave the house. Ever since our mother died, I’ve been looking after Tessa because I’m a legal adult and she doesn’t deserve to be put with a random couple who don’t even know her. Plus, our father died during a war a few months after Tessa was born. I started to look after her two years ago, and now I’m twenty-three.

Tessa, wearing her in-style jean shorts and PINK top, sits next to the water fountain in the middle of the park. She’s got lots of friends at school, unlike I did. I still don’t have any friends. I also don’t wear what’s in style. For example, right now I’m wearing my dirty and scuffed converses, boot-cut jeans, and Luke Bryan’s Kill The Lights Tour shirt.  I decide to check my Wattpad on my phone for a bit. I wrote a short story on there, and it’s starting to get popular.

After a few minutes of reading some nice comments, Tessa shrieks. I look up, putting my phone back into my pocket. Tessa is gone. I stand, looking around.

“Tess?” I call, panic rising. Tears prick at my eyes as I keep calling her name, looking around the park. Strangers start to watch me with odd looks. Losing all hope, I stop. The tears feel closer to shedding.

A tap on my shoulder makes me turn. My boring brown eyes meet bright blue ones. I recognize the young man as Hunter Hayes. A few girls in Tessa’s classes like him, but Tessa doesn’t care for country music.

Hunter shoves his hands in his front pockets. “Is everything alright, miss?”

I run a hand through my curly hair. “I was just with my little sister, but she just vanished and I think she was kidnapped or something because I heard her scream.”

Hunter, looking concerned, nods. “I can help you find her, if you want.”

“Thank you.”

Hunter and I search the park together, calling her name. After about five minutes, I spot her. She’s chatting happily with a boy her age who is holding a puppy. Tessa pats the dog’s head and it licks her hand. She laughs.

Without thinking, I take off towards her, wrapping her up in a hug. The boy holding the puppy awkwardly walks away, which earns me a glare from Tessa after she shoves me away from her.

“What’s your deal, (y/n)?”

I wipe away a stray happy tear. If you can’t tell, I get emotional quickly. “I love you so much Tessa. I’m so glad you’re okay.”

Tessa gives me a look of confusion. “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“I thought you were kidnapped. I heard you shriek and I just thought-”

“Well, stop!” Tessa snaps. “Just because mom died doesn’t mean that you can replace her!” Tessa storms away, sitting on the fountain that is across the park.

A throat clears behind me. I spin around and realize that Hunter is still there. My face burns with a blush as I quickly wipe away my tears. “Sorry for wasting your time.”

Hunter, watching me carefully, says, “It’s alright…” He bites his lip before continuing, “You know, coffee always makes me feel better.”

I nod, a ghost of a smile grazing my lips. “Me too.”

“I don’t know if you’d like to go to the coffee shop across the street and have me pay for it, would you mind? I think it’d help.”

“Thank you, you don’t have to,” I tell him, but I walk by his side across the street anyways because coffee usually does make me feel better. Hunter opens the door for me before following me inside. When we order, Hunter gets a vanilla latte and I order a plain black coffee because it’s strong and I can’t take sugar-filled coffees and mixtures. Hunter, despite my protests, pays for my black coffee. We sit across from each other in a booth next to the window where I can see Tessa sitting on a park bench while she’s texting someone.

I look across the table at Hunter. “You know, I’m surprised that no one has came over here to take a picture with you yet,” I tell him lightly.

Hunter seems a little surprised. “You know who I am?”

I nod, taking a sip of my hot coffee. “Yeah.”

“That’s kind of cool. I didn’t think very many people knew me,” he chuckles, taking a sip of his latte himself.

We continue talking (and I admit, a little flirting here and there) until Tessa texts me that she wants to go back home.

“Thanks for everything, I feel better now,” I tell him once we stand.

Hunter grins. “No problem….”

I gasp, realizing that I haven’t even told him my name yet. “(Y/N). My name is (y/n), sorry.”

He laughs. “Well, I hope to see you around, (y/n).”

“You too. Have a good day.”