The Mating Game

A/N: SO if you read the previous version, erase it all out of your brain. Seriously. But enjoy.

This is unedited, by the way.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mating Game

Prologue

Normally I wasn't the selfish type, in fact I typically put my pack's needs before my own. That's what I'd always been trained to do. As an Alpha's daughter I could never simply do selfish acts, everything I did was for the benefit of my pack. That's what I'd always been told and that was the one rule I followed.

If my father ever asked anything from me, I'd do it. No quarrels, no complaints, and I'd put my all into it. But, there was one thing I was supposed to be granted to do for myself.

The choosing of a mate.

No one was supposed to choose my mate.

"Dad, you can't ask this of me." He couldn't, I know things had gotten rough. But we were fighters, we could rebuild because we had the sheer heart and endurance to do it. I'd never known my father as someone who would take the easy route out of anything.

"You're going Bailey, don't fight this." My father sighed, he was exasperated. I could tell by how he hunched over the stacks of paper in front of him and by the bags under his normally vibrant green eyes. They usually glowed with life, but they looked dead now. And for a moment I regreted ever entering his office.

After all that happened, you still want to fight this?

"I-I-," The agrument I'd planned in my room for hours had died in my throat.

"You know I never wanted this for you," was all my father said as condolence and instead of continuing my fuitle argument I eased my way out of his office. Not only defeated, but even feeling completely ridiculous for even fighting it from the begining.

It was my duty.

I was joining the mating game.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

The Black Moon pack was the strongest most elite pack around the country. They were known for not only their kindness towards other packs but for the unnatural power of their alpha line. Whilst most alphas are powerful, they'd always been known to breed alphas with an extreme amount of power. For this reason they only mated the alpha's son with an alpha female from another pack. Or if the alpha at that time only had a daughter, they'd search for an alpha male to mate her with. They were picky too. They didn't want just any alpha's daughter or son because just because you inherited the title did not necessarily mean you deserved it. They wanted their pack to remain strong and for their alpha line to remain as powerful as it was.

Most alpha's were dying to have their daughters or son mated within this pack, it meant a strong alliance.

Most of the time their children were willing to go along with this. In fact they yearned it. Most people didn't want to mate out of love. They only wanted to mate for money or power.

The newest alpha of the Black Moon pack was Alpha Howl Jenson. He had refused to mate upon taking his father's position. Normally the pack would have already hosted a mating game where they allowed all the prospective alpha females from other packs to gather and prove their worth. The top female would have then been mated to Howl and taken up the role of Luna.

But for some odd reason Howl had convinced his father to let him take up his duties without a mate. In fact he went five whole years without even sending out one invitation for a mating game.

So when my father showed me the fancy invitation sent from the Black Moon pack I was surprised to say the least. No one would has suspected that Howl was ready to find a mate, he'd been fine thus far.

I was never interested in mating out of power, it had always been my hope that I'd be able to mate out of love like my father had.

But in the devastation of a rouge attack those kinds of dreams faded away.

My father knew I wanted to mate out of love but he still demanded I go. I wanted to be angry at him. But how could I? We needed this, we needed the help and support of another pack. Especially now, we were vulnerable. My father, the alpha, was at his weakest. He lost his mate, my mother, the very seams that kept him together and able to run our pack sufficiently.

My mother had been an omega in our pack, she wasn't very powerful but she was nurturing. Where she lacked in power she made up in with love. She was a wonderful cook, an easy person to talk to, good at giving advice, a wonderful mother. It wasn't normal for an alpha to mate and omega. But my father had fallen for her and refused to mate anyone but her.

It's been a year since she passed. A full on year since the rouges attacked our pack, burned our homes, and killed my mother.

She wasn't a fighter. Despite being the luna she just wasn't a fighter, but still she tried. She may not have been a fighter but I was and I tried so hard to get to her, to protect her. But I was surrounded, my father was surrounded, and we fought so hard to get to her. We just couldn't make it in time to save her.

The pack was never the same after that, my father was never the same..... Nothing was.

A/N: Okay guys, this is short. And the story has a more serious tone now. What do you think?