VII

Fast. That's how hard my heart was beating. Fast as hell. I continue running a trail in the park close to our apartment building. I only have eyes for you.

God. My heart dropped when he said that. I try to focus on the trail ahead of me but I can't, all I can think of is his words. Of course I have feelings for him too, but he's my boss. My incredibly attractive and sexy boss who I've kissed. What if something starts between us? It would feel like he's paying me for being his girlfriend instead of his employee.

I stop running, catch my breath and decide to just run back home. As soon as I get home at 7:30 pm, I see Caleb getting ready to go.

"Hey Rose, I'm just on my way out. Woah, wait. Are you okay? You look like you've been overthinking again." He asks. I glare at him for analyzing me. "It's just... well Ryan admitted his feelings for me and God, I have feelings for him too. But he's my boss, this won't work and we can't afford for me to lose my income. Maybe I should just tell him that I want to keep our relationship professional." I say and pace the living room.

Caleb walks over to me and stops my pacing. "Woah Rose, chill out. If you want to be with him then just be with him, you can find another job. But you can't find another person that makes you feel this way. I've never seen you like this babe, I really think he's the one." He says to me and rubs my shoulders as his eyes get this sad look.

"Caleb... you do realize that even if I fall in love, I still want you in my life? If that guy doesn't accept you, then I can't accept him. You're the only person that knows me and what I went through and you're still here by my side. That will never change. And I want to be with him, but I don't know Caleb. He's nice, funny, thoughtful, hardworking, good looking, brilliant and I could go on all day, but he has to be okay with our friendship and he can't pay me for dating him." I rant.

"Pay you for dating him?" He asks confused. "Well, if we start dating but I still work for him then isn't that what would happen?" I say.

"Well, technically no. You're not gonna be paid for dating him, you're gonna be paid for working for him but just get some extra benefits." He says with a smirk. "Benefits?" I ask him. "Benefits" He exaggerates while thrusting the air with his hips and biting his bottom lip. My eyes widen in horror. "N-no! Stop it! Don't think like that! He's just a nice guy, I don't want to do that!" I half scream.

"I was kidding Rose, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring that up." He says apologetically. I sigh and step up to him to hug him. "I know. I wish I could joke around like that without memories surfacing... but I can't right now. I promise I'm getting better Caleb." I whisper into his chest. He wraps his arms around me tightly and kisses the top of my head. "I know you are baby, I know." He says.

We stand there for a few minutes until I remember that he has to work, so I practically push him out the house. After locking the door and turning the heat up a little, I walk to my room to get ready for a shower.

While in the shower, I think. I think hard about Ryan. We don't really know each other. I mean, I know a lot about him. I pour some shampoo into my hands and attack my hair as I think about what I know about him.

Ryan is pretty young, only 26 and a billionaire and CEO of his own company. He only likes Starbucks coffee. He likes all his documents printed in size 14 Times New Roman font and hole punched to be organized in specific binders. He also has family dinners once every other week and he leaves an hour early from work to get there on time.

But those are business things, we barely know each other personally. After finishing my hair and rinsing out the shampoo and soap, I get out to dry myself and dress into fluffy pants and one of Caleb's shirts. Walking into the living room, I continue my pacing and thoughts. "Fuck." I mumble, not being able to come to a decision.