chapter 4

(i usually write on Ao3 so sorry for not updating but here you all go ;) )

Daryl was glad paul never brought up all the incidents with daryls nightmares. although now it would be difficult, seeing as though he was laying in bed next to him.

paul sat up in bed, last nights memories came flooding back and he could only hope that when daryl woke up he wouldn't be freaked out and forget that he'd asked paul to stay. they had slept with backs facing each other, paul making sure he left inches between them.

He was pretty sure daryl was still asleep, so he tried to stand up without waking him. But alas, daryl had already been up, and rolled over to look at paul. his eyes widened in confusion for a moment and returned to normal after realizing he'd been the one who wanted paul to stay with him.

"good morning daryl." Paul sat back down on the bed, crossing his legs in his lap. daryl rolled to lay on his back and sighed. "mornin... sorry fer, uh making you stay you didn't-"
"don't apologize i don't mind really." Paul smiled, "i've got a meeting with Maggie and Gregory soon though, and as much as id love to cuddle in bed with you," he teased daryl," i need to shower and head out." paul stood.Daryls face was beet red," fuck off." he groaned as paul let himself out.

daryl continued on with his daily activities, trying to not let the embarrassment overtake him, and looked for something, anything to keep his mind off the fact he and paul slept in the same bed. After helping one of the older women weed the gardens he headed straight to the trees behind the Barrington house for lunch. The lady had given him a couple of apples as payment and daryl decided to bring one for him and one for paul.

when he turned the corner paul was already waiting for him. he looked up from his book and waved to daryl. as he got closer he tossed paul his apple. "oh thanks!" paul smiled and took a bite. Daryl plopped down next to him
"How was the meeting?" he chomped on his apple.
"it was good, we decided, well maggie and i decided, we are going to start training some of the people in hilltop to fight. We need all the help we can get for fighting negans men, and it would just be nice to have people here who can actually fight and shoot a gun." Daryl could see just how tired paul was, his face had turned from his usual cheery to concerned in a matter of seconds. daryl liked how upbeat paul always was, but he really liked when he took his 'hi im jesus im everyone's happy leader and friend' mask off, he liked the real, laid back paul.

"so you gonna teach a bunch of farmers karate?" daryl smirked.
"no you idiot," paul punched his arm, " just basic skills, you wanna help? you're a big guy you can fight. even though i could totally kick your ass." paul looked at daryl who raised his brow.
"you? kick MY ass? i doubt it hippy." he shook his head.
"oh yeah? you may be big and buff and strong but i'm small,i have speed, old man." paul took pride in his fighting skills
"you challengin me to a fight?" daryl cocked his head and laughed.
"you know what? i am daryl. i'll kick your ass right here."
They both stood up, daryl shook his head.
"don't worry i'll go easy on you." paul smirked, "ready?"
"yeah."
daryl made the first move, barging forward trying to grab paul, who moved out of his was and caught his arm, pinning it against daryls back. daryl leaned forward trying to flip paul over his shoulder, but lost his balance and fell forward, hitting the ground with a thud and a grunt

paul wasn't able to see what was happening and landed on top of daryl. he moved to sit up on darlys back, still holding his arm. "hah told you-" he was too busy trying to brag when daryl quickly rolled over, catching paul off guard. Daryl flipped himself over and pinned paul underneath him.
"well," paul sighed, a wide grin on his face," you just have gravity in your side now." they both
laughed. Daryl got up and held a hand out for paul, helping him up.

his hair was a mess, with grass and a dandelion sticking out of the side.
"uh paul you got..stuff" daryl motioned to his hair. paul started raking through it with his fingers totally missing everything that was stuck.
"stop stop come here you little shit" daryl turned him around and got it all out, he held the smushed dandelion in his hand and turned paul back around, placing it behind his ear.
"there now your hippy look is complete." daryl said looking quite pleased with himself. paul had never seen him so, let go and loose before, even though they just tackled eachother. and plus daryl had never let paul het that close to him before. he looked up at daryl and smiled and could see daryl avoiding his gaze through his bangs.
"wow. thanks daryl, finally got my woodstock look." paul said sarcastically putting up a peace sign.
"shut it you, i still beat your tiny ass."

daryl wasn't sure how paul had gotten this playful side of him to show,and he's glad he didn't make it awkward and run away.

"while loosing to you has been a pleasure, i should probably get back to maggie and gregory. i'll see you later tonight." paul was still smiling and turned to leave.
"i'll help out, with the training and shit." daryl called to him, and paul turned and grinned. "thanks."