Chapter 9

Paul waited for daryl to get dressed after maggie left so they could walk to the barrington house together.

"you know, rick and some of the others are going to be here today, and i don't think they know you're here." paul said as they left the trailer.

"mhm. i know it was to keep me safe or whatever, but i can't belive rick made me stay at that fukin circus, right after i got back too" He kicked at a rock. Paul nodded his head.

They walked through the community in silence, only hearing all the residents bustle, hard at work. But as the two men emerged from where all the trailers were, they saw the Alexandrians had already arrived, a few cars and a truck parked inside the gates, people unpacking them. Daryl recognized some of them from around Alexandria, but didn't see his family.

"looks like the meeting already started, you sure u want to go in?" paul stopped on the house steps.

"yeah." daryl started up the stairs and help the door open for Paul, "c'mon."

When they walked in they heard faint chatter and headed towards the office, Daryl following paul closely.

Paul went in first, halting all conversations. A few "hey jesus!" and hellos could be heard, until Daryl stalked in and stood behind him, looking down at the floor.

"Daryl, what?" Rick stood with his hands on his hips. Daryl looked up to see Aaron, Rick, Tara, and Michonne were staring at him wide eyed, Sasha and Maggie with sly grins on their face.

"What happend why are you here?" Tara stood up from her place on the couch.

"nothin happened, jus didn't want to be at the kingdom no more." He shrugged. Paul walked over to Maggie by the desk.

"so you just left? how did you get here?" Questions from the four flung out of their mouths.
"He walked. By himself. I wasn't happy about it either but he's here now and he's okay." Maggie interrupted.

"you can't just run around and do what you want Daryl you can't be so childish, what if you would have gotten hurt?" Rick scolded.

"what? was i just supposed to stay there with those lunatics? You left me all by myself. I was alone. Again. so fuck yall if you think im childish for not wanting to be by myself after i just... got back." Some how he gravitated over to paul, who looked up at him. A thick silence fell over the room.

"Im sorry i just wanted to know you were going to be safe... we all need you." Rick ran his hand through his hair. Daryl scoffed.

"s'fine. m' fine."he sat down in a chair in the corner.

The group continued with the meeting, discussing the new community they had come across. Paul couldn't l stop sneaking peeks at Daryl every so often. He was slumped in the chair, chewing his thumb. They made eye contact a few times, causing Daryl to blush. Tara and Michonne noticed this, and quietly whispered to themselves.

When the meeting was dismissed Daryl booked it out of there, with Paul following behind.

"What's up with those two?" Rick looked at maggie and Sasha. They glanced at each other before maggie answered,

" no idea.."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Daryl walked around the side of the house toward he and Paul's spot by the trees.
He sat down against a tree and Paul plopped down next to him.

"Rick is like m brother but i don't know why he gotta treat me like a child. he's got too damn much on his plate to be worryin bout me." Daryl shook his head.

"He cares about you and he couldn't guarantee that you would be safe if he took you with us." Paul picked at the grass next to him.

The two sat in silence for a while before paul got an idea. He got up and collected some dandelions from around the trees and brought them back to where Daryl was sitting. He set his pile of yellow flowers down and sat next to it.
Daryl watched in confusion as Paul weaved them together in a line, and brought them together. He attached one end to the other and held it up. It was some sort of... crown?

"come here, bend your head down." Paul looked at Daryl.

"you really think i'm gonna let you put that on me?" Daryl smirked.

"fine i'll wear it then, but i'm making another one and you will wear it Dixon." Paul was about to put it on.

"nah lemmie have it, teach me how to do that and i'll make u one."

"aw, Daryl you're too sweet." Paul said mockingly, but wholeheartedly meant it. The older man just glared at him. Paul brushed some of Daryls hair out of his face and put the crown on him. Daryl watched him as he did, he hadn't ever had one play with his hair, it hadn't ever been this long before. Paul scooted back to get a good look at him, he looked so cute, and paul couldn't stop the smile spreading across his face.

"oh my god you're literally so adorable Daryl." The younger man giggled. Daryl only blushed.

"alright alright. now just. show me how this is done." Daryl picked up some flowers.

Paul had to take over and fix the thing... many, many times. And when it was finished, it looked like it was bound to fall apart at the slightest touch. But, it was cute nonetheless.

Daryl moved some strands of paul's hair behind his ear, taking time to let his hands run curiously through it. After placing the crown on Paul's head, he sat back to look.

"oh paul.. it looks like shit- not because of you or anything you look.. great," he added, " it's just, its shitty."

"shut up i bet i look like a god," He laughed.

Daryl was glad that their location couldn't be seen, kind of secluded from the rest of the rest of Hilltop. Not that he was ashamed of being with Paul, he just wasn't ready to come out, and he had issues with PDA.

The only way you would have seen them was if you peeked your head around the corner of the Barrington house, which enid michonne and tara, were doing.

It hadn't been apparent that they were spying until Enid couldn't keep in her squeals any longer.
"Enid shush!"
"im sorry i'm sorry it's just look at them!"

"we can hear you, come out" Paul rolled his eyes and yelled. Tara and Enid followed Michonne out from behind the corner awkwardly, and made their way over to them grins plastered across their faces.
Daryl just sat back against the tree, holding his head in his hands.

"fuck."
So much for not telling people right away.