Chapter 2: Crashing Down

8:43 AM: "Hello my dear, how are you?" Cindy cheerfully asks her boyfriend walking down the crowded streets of Manhattan. Her purse makes her hands heavy and the clacking of her shoes makes everyone stare.

"I'm good..." He states bluntly.

"John, I hope your ready for tonight? I bought the tickets and made reservations at your favorite restaurant. It is my thank you for being an amazing boyfriend after the few stressful months of our lives," she states cheerfully waiting for the walk sign.

8:44 AM: "Cindy, we need to talk," says his sturdy voice.

"I am on my way to work and I am already late, can we talk more at lunch?" she asks shuffling her way by people.

"No, Cindy I just.. we need. I'm," he says.

"What is wrong teddy?" She gently asks perking up her ears. She always using that nickname for John.

"Cindy, I'm seeing someone else and I am in love with her. I never loved you. I'm with her right now and I can't speak for long," He whispers but she hears him as clear as day.

8:45 AM: Her heart drops.

Every sound around her is becoming obsolete and it is getting harder to breath.

"That must be your "sister," says Cindy putting the pieces of his absences and excuses together always blaming it on family realizing that it was a charade for this other woman.

"It's just Matt, my stalker," he states off in the distance to the other woman ignoring her statement. One thing Cindy knows is she is no stalker.

Cindy feels a knife slicing whatever was remains of her heart. Her mouth becomes dry and her eyes becomes lost in these words. Cindy eyes glazes over and her body begins to tremble. Her breathing is becoming faster and her vision is becoming blurred.

"Do you want to talk to her?" He adds to Cindy. Before words could come to Cindy's mouth a rusting noise which she presumes is a transfer of the phone from John.

8:46 AM: "Hi..." says a sultry Latino female voice. Cindy mind is spinning with responses and panic soon arises.

"He has put me in a very strange place," she adds causing Cindy to rummage through the explosion of responses this woman has now placed in front of her.

"Imagine how I feel, the girlfriend of two years," Cindy replies coolly. The woman hands the phone over to John and through that split second, Cindy remembers all the secret phone calls he whispered while near her and texts he was hiding from her.

"I don't want to talk to her," Cindy hears the woman telling John. Recalling the night she has had, an once of courage fills her mind and voice. She takes a deep breath.

8:47 AM: "So you spoke with her," he gladly reiterates with a grin plasters on his face.

"You don't know what you want and can't see what you had. Goodbye John," she says without emotions and hangs up. Cindy could not believe the words that came out of her mouth. She stands there staring at her phone.

8:54 AM: Cindy tries not to cry because she is heading to work. She does not allow herself to accept it until she gets out of the prying eyes of her co-workers. Her lips become tighter and darker and her posture becomes smaller in stature.

9:00 AM: Cindy arrives at work only to be greeted by another letter on her desk. A pink slip. Her years of being a 24/7 underpaid personal assistant to an ungrateful boss is finally being repaid in firing her.

Cindy walks to her neat desk like a mouse to clean out her belongings. She takes up the slip to read the markings when the reports that she handed in to her boss yesterday was laying underneath caught her eye.

9:01 AM: It had her boss handwriting all over it scolding her workmanship and questioning the evidence of her work. She has no reaction to the notes because she knew what is in the reports is justified by lawyers and other businessmen like her boss.

She looks up to see her boss arguing with another assistant. Cindy knew her boss is a pain in anyone's behind and all of her assistants quit within their first year but she is the first one to get fired.

9:02 AM: Her boss sees her and twists her lips. She rages over with a remnant of Cindy's report.

"How many times must I tell you to do this properly?!" She smacks the report on Cindy's desk. Cindy did not respond and continue unpacking her things.

"You have nothing to say?" She inquires still boiling under the surface.

"Are you done?" Cindy answers.

"Get out of my office!" She threw Cindy's coat in her face. Cindy stops and turns around to stare at her boss's eyes.

Everything that has happened within 48 hours is flooding back. She recieve a devastating letter last night, this morning her boyfriend broke up with her, and now she's getting fired. She remembers every word of the letter that she received last night that is burned into her brain. She takes a deep breath. Her eyes fidgets around the office. She has a tiny bit of courage left in her for today.

"Everything you wanted is in that report but it was clear that you wanted to fire me with the threats you give everyday to all of your assistants and I, and you wonder why they all quit." Cindy leaves with her shocked boss and all her co-workers staring in disbelief.

Cindy has bigger fish to fry.

********

Remember to vote and comment!