Chapter 13

Owen's POV

"Get over it. I'm the one who's suffering here. I've had to listen to my father fawn over my stupid ugly mate, who isn't even worth his time or care! You're only here because you happen to be coveniently pregnant, and easy to control!"

Alistair's words reverberated in my mind as I ran, each time they repeated hurting my chest more and more. "'Conveniently pregnant?'" I grit my teeth, the forest blurring in my vision as the tears gathered in my eyes. "'He's the one who's suffering?'" I almost laughed. He knew nothing.

When I finally stopped running, I found myself lost. It was close to midday, but the canopy above blocked the sunlight, making it feel like midnight. There was a throbbing in my stomach from the exercise, and my heart thumped loudly in my chest.

Where am I? I looked around at the unfamiliar land, panic setting in. No, I have to stay calm. I can't freak out now. I found an old tree to hide in, scrunching myself up to fit inside.

Luckily, I had found the hiding spot just in time. As soon as I settled down, the rain began to start, gradually increasing until a storm had set in. I shivered, holding my stomach tighter and softly patting it for comfort.

Then, I felt it. A simple kick, nothing more than a bump, really. Not too noticable, but it meant the world to me. It was a message. An encouragement. I had to stay strong. There were no other options.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" I froze. The voice seemed to sneer down at me, the man's dark eyes watching me with interest. My face paled with realization. "R- rogues..."

Alistair's POV

I messed up. I said something I shouldn't have, and now I'm paying for it. But I wouldn't let anything or anyone deter me. I had to find him.

Luckily, I wasn't alone. Sure, my father wasn't the happiest when he found that his pregnant 'daughter'-in- law had run away because I was a jerk, but he wasn't about to sit back and do nothing. His future grandchild, my child, was at stake. And so was Owen.

I almost laughed at myself. A few month ago I would have gagged at how maidenly I was acting. But, I guess it's because I finally decided to acknowledge something; I love him. I love Owen. And I'm willing to do anything to get him to believe me. As long as I can have him.

Thankfully, I remembered something. I had marked him. The mark allows a different kind of scent to be left, that only the mate of the marked can smell. It was a convenient way to locate Owen.

Of course, then it started raining. Each and every drop was like another lost hope that we'd find Owen. I watched the rain, just as I had watched Owen. I should have gone after him. No, I shouldn't have rejected him in the first place. I should have stepped up and been the mate I needed to be.

But I didn't. I didn't do any of the things I should have. Maybe... Maybe I didn't deserve him. I slumped down, only looking up when a large shadow came over my head.

My father watched me with disapproval. "You aren't giving up, are you? She's your mate. Your pregnant mate." I shook my head. I have to tell him. "... He," I said slowly. "He's my mate. Owen. The Omega." My father's face scrunched up for a moment. "... We had an Omega?"