Timelessly

The next day at school, Isadora ignores me.

She doesn't smile at me in the hallways.

She doesn't look at me in class.

I feel myself breaking.

Days turn into weeks, and the weather becomes even more worrisome. Snow falls and coats everything in a heavenly white blanket. Six weeks after my night with Isadora, a Snow Day is announced, and school is cancelled. My parents, who had left last night to deliver something to my grandparents, are stuck on the other side of town. They warn me not to leave the home, and I oblige. 

For the most part.

I can't seem to get her off my mind. I pull on my heaviest parker and thickest boots, and trudge to the front door, swinging it open. I'm about to step out, when I find my path blocked by none other than the girl I had set off to see. 

"What took you so long? I've been knocking for seven solid minutes!" She's dressed in a grey tee, a floral skirt, bright coral docs with heels, and a bone coloured trench coat. She must be absolutely freezing.

"S-Sorry, come in."

"Thanks." She pushes past me, shivering. She turns to face me, looking at me though she hasn't seen me before. 

"Were you going somewhere? I can come back later."

"No!" I say a little to forcefully. She raises an eyebrow. "Please, um, sit down?"

She smiles gratefully and takes a seat by the fire-absent fireplace. I turn on the gas, and flames burst to life from the hearth. I turn around to see Isadora with her eyes closed, relishing in the sudden warmth. Then it hits me. Isadora Kai Violette is in my house, and I didn't even invite her. She shrugs off her coat, and I take it from her, hanging it by the door. I sit down next to her, though a safe distance.

"Not that I don't value your company," I say after a long, awkward silence. "But why are you here?"

"To apologise."

"For what?"

"Running off on you. I guess I'm just scared." She laughs bitterly. "I think we can blame father dear for that."

I drag my eyes from the floor and look at her, finding myself gazing into her eyes. I've never realised it, by the right one is slightly darker than the left. She scoots closer so that we're almost shoulder to shoulder. Almost. I can feel her heat even stronger than the fire's. She puts her hand on my knee, and I seize up. She leans forward, and I can smell lavender. She gently kisses my jaw, trailing butterfly kisses up and down the bone. I leap to my feet and pace away from her, running a hand through my hair. When I turn back to Isadora, she looks hurt.

"You've never showed any interest in me, why now?" I'm surprised by the accusation in my voice.

"Never showed any interest?" She scoffs angrily. "The whole time I've known you, I've been dropping you hints. Offering to be your partner in lab projects, 'accidentally' running into you at library. I've been doing it all on purpose, and you've never even cared!" She bursts out angrily. I stare at her in shock, and she glares back.

"All this time?" I whisper.

"Yes." She says, exasperated. 

I stalk away from her to my record player, putting the needle on the current vinyl. Elton John's 'Your Song' starts playing through hazy speakers. I offer a hand to Isadora which she takes surprisingly. I stay as far a distance as I can without physically breaking away from her. Thanks to my ma, I know how to slow dance, as does Isadora. As the song progresses, I gather more courage. I twirl her around and, as she comes back, collides into my chest. It's the first mistake I've made, though I don't think either of us mind. I take a hand from her waist and tuck a stray lock of vivid orange hair behind her ear. I place that hand behind her head and guide it to mine. Her lips are soft and warm, and it's a gentle kiss, unlike our first one. I break away first.

"The whole time." I say, laughing. "And I had no idea. I was totally in love with you, and I could have made a move."

She kisses me through a giggle. "And why didn't you?"

I shrug. "I always thought you were too good for me."

She steps back, though still in my arms. "Me too good for you?" She tips her head back and laughs.

"Shut up you." I mumble, kissing her neck.

"Come on," she whispers. "Let's go have some fun."