Completely Fine

"Fine? After all that you're just...fine?"

His voice was full of disbelief, seeing that I had not been shaken up from the matter. Most normal people would be frightened, frazzled, even thankful that it was over but being someone who had been put in that position many times. I had remained unfazed.

"Of course, Why wouldn't I be?"

Seeing that he didn't have a good reply to that. I rolled my eyes, walking away towards the apartment building entrance. I didn't have time for his nonsense. A look of concern filled his eyes as it gazed over the key in my hand.

"You live here?"

The disbelief in his voice was overwhelming present. He sounded like he almost choked on the words as they came out. Casually I turned around, resting one hand on my hip. I have a feeling my answer will only lead to more of his pestering.

"As a matter of fact, yes."

"By yourself?"

I give a slight nod, why was this all so interesting to him. Had this imbecile never seen someone live on there own before or did he not believe a young girl such as myself could handle living in this part of town. Nonetheless, I am no fool nor should I be perceived as one. From the moment I bought the place I knew what I was getting into.

East Gotham had a bad reputation. Crime was the highest in this part of Gotham, higher then anywhere else in the city. The main reason for the high crime rate could be found amongst the blubbering idiots people call police. It is because of there incompetence that they fail to protect it from the growing crime rate. Statistics show 1/5 of the resistants in East Gotham won't make it a full year. They're either killed, abducted or flee in an effort to save themselves. My stomach curled up in a knot, making a sickening feeling. I used to contribute to those statistics, back when I worked under my father. My voice was a little more rude then I intended as I snapped back,

"Why, is that a problem?"

"No, no it's just...."

"It's just?"

"Well....err....it's just.....this isn't the safest place for a young girl to be in Gotham."

"So?"

His mouth was left, hanging wide open. I wouldn't be surprised if a fly or two flew in it. My answer must have caught him off guard. Clearly he found that it strange for me, a young girl, to not care about such things. Unlike most of the so called normal people, I wasn't one to be scare of Gotham. Yes, It's corrupt, dangerous, insane even but all cities were like that. The boy scratched his head, running his hand through his dark brown hair. He looked to be attempting to understand my logic.

"What do you mean /so/?.....Did you not witness the last 20 minutes?"

"Are you saying I can't handle it?"

I couldn't even hide my annoyance. I grab my luggage and start heading for my room. His hand grabs my arm, fulfilling his effort to stop me from going in. He seemed to be getting annoyed with me and my stubbornness. Good, let it annoy him. This boy shouldn't even be talking to me, let alone still be here.

"No, it's just that a lot of people around here are-"

"Are what?"

"Seriously? Seconds ago you were almost strangled by Kane and his court of Jester's and your don't understand why this is dangerous."

He had raised his voice at me, as if trying to get the message through my thick skull. Sure, under different circumstances I wouldn't ever live here, but this was my only option. Why was he being so persistent? The kid should have just gone home, I didn't need his help nor advice. I take a deep breath, trying not to show how badly I wanted to kill him.