You've been Heard.. A message to those in Syria

A few days ago I saw multiple videos filmed by the helpless civilians of Syria. It was practically emotionally devastating to watch. Not only was it devastating because of the pain these people were in, but also because it felt as though I could do nothing to help. These people are not only scared for their lives, but for the lives of their children. Beyond all that the worst part of all of this is the west (the United States in particular) is responding in the exact opposite way that we should. The people of the United States are ignoring the problem as if it does not exist. We have also elected a man that stands against Muslims and basic human rights like freedom of religion. You can say whatever you want to defend him but there is no way you can defend him making fun of people with disabilities and showing constant sexism on a public forum. Even in a cease fire these people are not safe because of a barbaric and insane organization known as ISIS. No one can get into these cities that are under siege to help the innocent. American citizens are paying more attention to vile and ignorant tweets from Donald Trump than a war that has lead to the killing of 400,000 people (4,500 of which are children). It took a photograph of a child named Omran Daqneesh covered in blood and ash for us to really pay attention. This piece is to send a message to these people. You have been heard. You may not have been heard by the amount of people that you should have but you have been heard nonetheless. I promise that I will spread your message. I hope that at some point the United States will provide salvation for you along with the EU. You deserve to be safe. As for all the people in the United States that are ignoring this problem, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It does not matter if these people are apart of our nation. These people live on earth. We are all God's children. None of us deserve what these people are going through. We owe it to these people to stand up and speak out. If you are reading this please do your part and push for these people to be given what is needed, a safe place.

By Andrew Clark

This article was written by the Destani Writing Comp.