Chapter 1

As I walk through the doorway to the kitchen, I smell a heavenly scent.

          "What smells so good, Mom?" I ask leaning up against the chipped wall.

          "Oh, Chloe! I saved up some money and bought ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies. They have just got done baking, want some?" Mom says delightfully. She turns around with the spoon in her hand and she starts to lick the cookie dough clean off the spoon.

          "Really? You made cookies? We have never had enough money for this kind of food! Thank you so much, Mom." I say as I skip toward the plate of cookies on the old table. I pick up the warm dessert and wave it infront of my face. The scent swirls around my face and I feel like I'm in heaven. I bite the crunchy cookie and my taste buds start to tingle.

          "Do you like them?" Mom askes as she grabs one for herself.

          "I don't like them, I love them! These are so good! I'll go get Annabella." I say as I start to walk down the hall. Annabella is my younger sister, she is six years old but she is very mature. I am nine years older than her, but we still do everything togethor. She has ice blue eyes just like me and our mother. She always wears her glossy, brown hair in two braids, which I have to do for her every morning.

          Her door is at the end of the hall, her room is right next to mine. Theres even a door that connects our rooms. Sometimes, when Annabella has nightmares, she will come into my room from that door and crawl into bed with me. I don't mind, though.

           I reach her door, and knock three times.

          "Annabella! Come down to the kitchen! Mom made cookies!" I say right outside of her door. Her door then swings open and she comes running out and slides on her butt down the stairs.

           "Cookies! Cookies!" Annabella chants as she makes her way down the stairs and into the kitchen. She hugs my mom and grabs a cookie. My mom unties her blue apron covered in flour and lays it on the kitchen counter. Mom and I take a seat at the dinner table and enjoy our cookies. Annabella jumps on my lap and we all eat our cookies togethor.

          We are a very close family. We don't have a father though, its just us three. Even though we are very poor, we still go to school, eat, and well, sometimes take baths. I thought nothing could seperate us, but I was wrong.