Thursday pt. 2 - Under His Skin

The last period of the day dragged by. All Dan could think about was how sweet Phil had tasted on his lips. Finally, the bell signalling the end of school went, and to Dan's ears, it sounded like heaven on earth.

Dan was mid-way through unlocking his bike from the rack when Phil strode up to stand next to him. Dan twisted to peer past the boy to see Phil's friend laughing and nudging each other. They just stood in a strange silence until everyone had left the school, Dan's hand still poised midway through unlocking his bike. Phil sighed impatiently and gently pushed Dan to the side and unlocked it for him, before swinging a long leg over the frame to sit on the seat. He ignored Dan's quiet protests and insisted Dan sat on the handle bars.

After a slow and bumpy journey they finally reached Dans house, and Phil shoved Dan off with a childish giggle before handing the bike back to him. "I'll come and get you tonight... Reckon you can wait until then?" Phil whispered, and Dan nodded breathlessly before practically sprinting into the house.

Later that night after some hurried knocks a frantic whispers, they both ended up sat on there respective roofs. After sitting and sleepily chatting for a while Dan smiled, and crawled over to where Phil sat. He automatically cuddled into him as he'd done many times before and the black haired boy curled a bony arm around his shoulders. With his other hand Phil scrambled in his pocket, before bringing out a box and a thin plastic tube. "Do you want a cigarette?" Phil asks, holding out his packet.

Dan smiles and shakes his head. "Nah. You already know I don't smoke. But thanks."

Phil shrugs and places one between his lips. "You ever drink or do anything out of line?" He smiles, he already knew Dan's answer.

"I have glasses of wine with dinner I guess - well, at Christmas, and Bucks Fizz sometimes."

Phil smiles and cups his hands around his mouth to light his cigarette. "Bucks Fizz? That's cute."

"You're cute."

"I'm not cute." Phil rolls his eyes but Dan doesn't miss the small smile that tugs his lips, even if Phil's trying to hide it, to keep his cool. Dan watches him loosen his pyjama collar with one hand and run his hand through his hair to scruff it up a bit.

"You're cute, you're like - the definition of the word, Phil," Dan mutters.

Phil sits up straight, the moonlight delicately highlighting his features, brushing himself off with his spare hand and narrowing his eyes at Dan. "You're a tosser," he says. He smiles though, and Dan smiles back. "You can't call me cute and then grin at me like that - with your fucking dimples. You're adorable," Phil says.

"Shut up," Dan feels himself blushing and covers his cheeks with his hands, glaring towards Phil to see him smiling. They sit there silently, bathing in each other's warmth.

"I do it to push people away you know?" Phil says suddenly.

"You what?" Dan mumbles, half asleep.

"Act like I'm tough and unattainable - I don't like people, I don't like teachers because they're condescending and I don't like other kids because they used to call me names, so I push them away so they don't hurt me." Phil drags his lip between his teeth and shakes his head. "Shit, that sounds so stupid out loud."

"You never pushed me away."

Phil smiles and takes another drag from his cigarette. "Because you got under my skin back when we were kids."

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?"

Phil shrugs. "Haven't quite figured it out yet."

He leans down to kiss Dan on his nose, and it's at that moment Dan knows Philip Michael Lester is the boy for him.

Dan must've fallen asleep, because he awoke to Phil nudging him and telling him the sun was about to rise. "I wanted you to see this baby. I watch it all the time, it helps me calm down after a night out and stuff, you get me?" Dan just smiled at Phil's words and cuddled into him closer. Phil knew Dan knew about his past. I mean, he could hardly have missed it, could he? The more Phil thought about it, the more he regretted his promiscuity.

Was one girl not enough? One boy even? He'd fucked more than one of each sex, he knew that much at least. The first was a girl called Jade, he thought, though maybe it was Jasmine? He couldn't really remember. And he was drunk anyway. A short gasp from Dan bought him crashing back into the present, the colours of the sunrise swirling before his eyes like a twisting kaleidoscope.

Pinks and purples and golds all highlighting the sky, like paint thrown haphazardly on a canvas. Phil glanced over at Dan, to see the gold delicately shining in his eyes. Dan was absolutely stunning, to say the least.

Phil had never been a poetic person, or one who did well with words, so instead he pulled Dan, with his adorable Donald Duck t-shirt and faded sweatpants, into a hug that simultaneously drew all the bad thoughts from each boys head. Phil twisted Dan around, whispering sweet nothings in his ear about how beautiful he was before kissing him. The kiss deepened, tongue on teeth, lips being bitten gently, breathless gasps and drawn out hand movements.

Phil twisted his hands in Dan's hair and Dan wrapped his legs about Phil, his arms meeting behind Phil's back. Eventually they pulled back, the sky blue and pink and gold, with their lips plump and eyes wild. Dan put his thumb gently inside the waistband of Phil's pyjama pants, and Phil's head exploded with thoughts like fireworks. He knew what Dan was trying to ask without speaking, so he leaned forward and softly whispered a few words. Dan blushed like a shy preteen.

"There no school tomorrow baby, so just wait until then, and we can do whatever you want."