Chapter Twelve

I woke late the next morning with the strange piece of metal resting on my nightstand. I reached my hand over and picked it up as I observed its features. There wasn’t a way to figure out what this was on my own. I had never seen anything like it. Sighing, I stood up out of bed and walked downstairs after getting dressed.

            My mom was standing over the stove in the kitchen making breakfast for me, just as she did on a typical day. She heard a noise from behind her and smiled when she turned and saw me round the corner.

            “Mornin’ honey. I made you some breakfast.” She said as she faced back to the stove. She flipped a pancake in the pan and tossed it onto my plate. As she turned to bring me my breakfast, she noticed that my attention was at my hands as I held a small object. “What ya got-.“ My mom dropped the glass plate and it shattered at her ankles. I flinched back at the noise, but soon recovered and turned to my mother. I heard her mumble a few curse words under her breath at the plate she had broken. Her ankles were oozing red; I could smell the aroma of blood immediately. She looked at her ankles and back to me, but put a hand up to tell me she was okay.

            “Mom, we need to get you to a hospital.” There was a bit of panic in my voice, but for my mom’s sake, I tried to keep a calm tone.

            “No, oh that won’t be necessary. It’s just a scratch, dear. I just need a few bandages, then I will be fine.” My mom wasn’t fond of the idea that she needed medical attention. I ignored her ignorant comment and called Clark to ask his parents to drive her to the hospital.

            “Thanks Clark,” I said before hanging up the phone. I still held the metal object in my hand as I set the phone on the counter.

            “I see you found something.” My mom mumbled. She nodded at the thing in my hand. I lifted it to my face to get a better look.

            “What is it?” I asked her. She sighed before replying, “Your father and I found it in the capsule we found you in. We brought you and the capsule back home to figure out where you came from, but all we found was that. Your father played around with the capsule a bit and discovered that the object in your hand is a key. He believed it plays a bigger importance than just opening your capsule. He hid it in your bear to let you find it on your own. He thought that when the time was right, you would discover its importance and change the world. I didn’t expect you to find it at such a young age, Kal.” I stared at the key as I took in all of the information.

            “Well, tomorrow, I want you to come to my capsule with me. If I am going to change the world, I need to see how this thing works.” She only nodded before the doorbell rang. I ran to answer the door. Behind it stood a worried Clark and Mrs. Kent, feeling sympathetic for my mom. I found a broom in the kitchen pantry and swept a path for Clark to reach my mom. He picked her up and carried her out the front door, and to the car. Mrs. Kent drove us to the hospital.

            “Oh, dear! How did this happen?” The nurse asked as my mom sat on the bed in the room. My mom shrugged. I could tell she was a bit embarrassed at the accident.

            “I dropped a plate,” she plainly replied. The nurse ran off to find a doctor as I sat with my mom. Clark and his mom were in the waiting room.

            “Does it hurt?” I asked. It was a stupid question, really, but I wasn’t sure what else to say. She nodded and chuckled under her breath. The doctor knocked three times on the wooden door before walking in with a smile on his face and a clipboard tucked under his right arm. He grabbed it and pushed his glasses that hung around his neck onto his face to read it.