Chapter 1

Disclaimer:  I do not own any of the characters or pictures used in the production of this piece of literature, unless specifically indicated otherwise. This story is for fan based entertainment and not for financial benefit.

Chapter 1

You could always tell if you were in a hospital. The blinding white walls, the sharp smell of chemicals, and of course, the feeling. It was quiet, but spooky with the knowledge that many people died in the building. So when Percy opened his eyes, he wasn't surprised to see a hospital room.

Wait... What was that?

His eyes tried to focus on the multi-colored blur that sat on a chair that was pulled close to his bed. Rubbing his eyes, Percy squinted at the blur. The blur had a body... and then a face...

"Mom?"

Sure enough, Sally Jackson was sleeping in what looked like a very uncomfortable position. Ignoring the sharp pain in his stomach, Percy reached over to nudge her shoulder. Sally's eyes snapped open and focused on her son. Her eyes were wide and weary. Sally's shoulders were slumped and she seemed to be exhausted.

"You're awake... "

Her large brown eyes filled with tears as she stared at her son. Trembling, Sally hugged Percy close to her chest.

"I promise. I'll find a way to fix all of this. Percy... I'm sorry. You won't ever have to go back to that monster," she whispered.

What was she talking about? Who was the "monster"? Percy buried his face in his mom's shoulder. He closed his eyes when Sally's flowery smell reached his nose. As soon as he shut his eyes, Percy could suddenly see the "monster" very clearly. Gabe throwing a beer bottle at him. Punching him until he couldn't breathe. Telling him that his mom didn't care. Calling him names. Worthless brat... No wonder your father left you...

"It's okay. I'm fine, Mom."

Sally only hugged him tighter. Her arms wrapped around her son as if she could protect her child from the evils of the world. After a long day of working at her new job, Sally had really wanted to see her son. But, she couldn't afford to pay for a cab so the tired woman had walked the long way home. When Sally arrived at the front door of her apartment, she glanced at her watch. It was close to midnight.

~Flashback~

Sighing, Sally held up a bag of blue candies. I'll give them to him tomorrow morning. She thought. Percy, I'm so sorry that I can't give you a good childhood. I'm a terrible mother. But, I'm trying my best so just wait a little more, okay? She grabbed the keys from her shirt pocket and opened the door. She screamed.

Several different kinds of alcoholic drinks were littered all over the modest apartment. Blood stains covered the walls. Percy's blood. Her son was laying on the floor, his back to her. Despite this, Sally could see the blood pouring out of Percy. Her husband was looming over Percy's body, shouting insults as he kicked him. Repeatedly.

"What are you doing?!"

~End of Flashback~

Sally held her son close to her chest as she recalled the memory. His body was thin and she could feel the bandages under the hospital gown. Shaking, Sally held Percy just a little bit closer.

 "I called Poseidon. He'll take care of you."

Percy looked at his mom in surprise. She never talked about his birth father. Ever. All Percy knew was his name and that he had abandoned his mom when she had been pregnant with him. "You're not coming with me?"