Part 12

No-one knew how many winters Old Mae had seen in her long life, not even Gytha. She was a Shepworth stalwart, the holder of history and knowledge unfathomable. Yet like so many before her, with the cooler months Old Mae found herself frequently at the mercy of pains in her joints and a general weakness of the spirit. The affection everyone had for the old lady meant that she always had someone to look after her, and on this particular day, Aethelwin had taken it upon herself to visit her friend with some stew. She had ordered Eadred's slaves to prepare it for her, adding pieces of beef and bacon which were not easily afforded by most in the village, certainly not by Old Mae. She sat keeping her company until one of Eadred's men at arms interrupted her visit.

"My Lady Aethelwin. Lord Eadred wants to see you immediately."

The thought of being summoned by Eadred filled Aethelwin with exasperation. Whenever he said anything to her, it was always concerning Leodgar and she was sick to death of hearing his raving. She apologised to Old Mae and followed the messenger outside.

Once they were out of anyone's hearing, she asked the man what Eadred specifically wanted.

"I don't know my Lady. Though your friend Leodgar has returned, I suspect it's about him."

"Leodgar is here?" Aethelwin panicked. "When did he arrive? Why didn't he come and find me?"

The guard refused to answer her; his gaze fixed straight ahead. Aethelwin picked up the pace, out-striding her escort. She trusted Eadred as much as he trusted Leodgar, barely at all. For all she knew he had already acted out on his dislike for her friend. He could already have been banished from the village, or worse.

She barged past the guards stationed outside the main entrance to the hall and prepared herself for a fight with her husband. Once inside, however, she was so shocked by what she saw, she froze to the spot.

Both Eadred and Leodgar stood by the long feasting table, drinking merrily from silver cups. On the table lay ivory, furs, exotic spices, silver and gems.

"Aethelwin," Eadred smiled.

He came over to her at once and kissed her cheek warmly. All she could do was stare at him, making him laugh with amusement.

"I know, I know. That is the exact same expression I had when our friend here gave me these treasures. Look at this."

He held up a short bladed seax with a dragon head engraved for a handle.

"That's ivory from the Byzantine Empire, and look at the blade. See that pattern? It's inlaid silver, not paint. The real thing."

Aethelwin's eyes skated from one item to another, unable to truly comprehend all the silver and ivory and shiny jewels that lay before her. She picked up a long string of glass beads, the multitude of colours glinting in the light.

"Beautiful isn't it? Have it my love, it's yours."

Eadred carefully attached the necklace around her neck. Aethelwin's fingers traced the outlines of the beads and smiled at Leodgar, whose eyes were dancing with mirth. Was this really happening?

"So the Devil pays you well for your treachery."

Gytha stood in the doorway, as tall and imposing as the day Aethelwin first met her. Immediately, Eadred went to his mother, a generous smile on his lips. He kissed her on the cheek and led her to the table, her contempt increasing with every step.

"You should all be disgusted with yourselves. Avarice and greed are the Devil's temptation."

Eadred picked up an ornate silver cross and held it out to her, an obvious overture of peace between them.

"Mother, this is God's reward for our long suffering. Here, take it. Give it to the Church, take anything you want. There's plenty more."

Gytha hardly moved a muscle towards accepting it from his outstretched hand. Eadred sighed.

"Mother, think of all the good this would do for the brothers at Ripon. Think of all the starving, needy people they could help. Please, take it as my gift to you and give it to the Church."

Reluctantly, Gytha took it from his hands.

"So it should go to the church. You should go and pray for your sins and beg God's forgiveness. All of you."

"What have we done now? I thought you would be pleased. This will go a long way to helping our king win the war and bring peace."

"Exactly! You have turned to the enemy; you have turned against the true king and sought his bastard brother for your own greedy reasons. Why should I take your ill gotten gains for the Church when Aelle will only steal it off of them again. You may as well give it to him now."

She flung the cross back at his feet and glared at them all. When she turned towards Aethelwin, the hatred seemed to intensify. The outburst had shocked them all. No-one had even the slightest inkling that Gytha supported Osbert. Aethelwin especially had taken it for granted that she was the only one left in Shepworth who still believed Aelle was a usurper.

Eadred's face was pink and contorted with rage.

"It is war mother, that is just what happens. The Church has more than enough wealth, it is richer than even the King. At least Aelle shares it around his followers."

"The Church is the house of God! Aelle makes himself higher than God and that is blasphemy. You are against God by following him."

Eadred snatched up the cross from the floor and pushed it firmly into her hands, glaring venomously at her.

"Take the offering, mother," he hissed. "Use it as you will. Give it to Osbert for all I care, but take it now before I change my mind."

Gytha opened her mouth to quarrel, but then thought better of it. She did not know how he would react if she continued to push her point. She clutched the cross to her chest.

"I'll pray for you," she muttered quietly to her son.

She threw Aethelwin such a cold and unforgiving look that Aethelwin had to physically back away from her. She could feel her mother-in-law's hatred like ice through her veins. It shocked her like nothing she had experienced before. They hardly spoke to each other anymore. They had avoided each other ever since Raedwald's death and Eadred's betrayal, and even though she had long since realised that Gytha had blamed her for both these events, she had no idea it had festered into such vile hatred. She felt Leodgar's arm go around her shoulder, giving her strength.

When Gytha had left, Eadred shook his head in amazement. "Well, she certainly still doesn't like you."

Aethelwin sat down on the bench and was grateful when her husband poured them all another cup of ale. It was just what she needed after the confrontation.

"You are her son, a mother will always love their sons no matter what king they support. I had no idea she supported Osbert. She must think I am such a traitor. To turn from not just my uncle but my whole family."

"Well I think you are the best thing to happen to me," Eadred smiled, kissing her on the temple and holding her hand in his.

"Without you and Leodgar here, we wouldn't have all this. We may have lost the Tyne but come spring we will rise up again and take the kingdom back."

Aethelwin hardly heard a word her husband said after that, her head reeling from the suddenness of his compliment, the tenderness of his kiss.

She had done it, she realised with amazement. She had proved herself worthy in the eyes of her husband. He was treating her with generosity and kindness, talking to her as an equal. She was sure it would only be a matter of time before he would be convinced of rejoining her uncle.

While he was talking with Leodgar, Eadred caught a glimpse of her watching him, and smiled. Aethelwin's own smile widened. She was furiously fighting the urge to giggle like a silly child but she couldn't help herself. He was so handsome, and he was her husband. He was smiling only for her.