Part 10

As if knowing that his life in Shepworth was precarious, Leodgar returned a few days later. He had acquired a cart on his travels but it was only a third full of fleece. The venture had not been as successful as he had hoped.

Aethelwin told him about the conversation with Eadred. He did not admit to anything, but he didn’t deny it either. All his focus now centred on finding enough silver to keep Eadred happy. He decided that he would set out for market straightaway. He would take whatever they had made and take his chances.

Before he left, Aethelwin presented him with the clothes she had made for him. He seemed pleased, admiring the weave and tight embroidery at the neck and cuffs.

“You made this for me?” he beamed, his voice betrayed his disbelief.

Aethelwin nodded and gestured to his own clothes caked in dirt and mud.

“If you are to represent my interests and inspire people to buy from us, you have to at least look as though you know what fine workmanship looks like. Honestly Leodgar, I have seen men come back from war cleaner than you.”

Without any sense of modesty, Leodgar threw off his tattered tunic and pulled his new one over his head.

“It's rather snug.”

“It fits perfectly. You’re just too used to your clothes being stretched to breaking-point.”

Standing back to admire his already improved appearance, she beamed in triumph.

“I think we will do quite well, you and I.”

Leodgar laughed uncertainly and tried to admire himself in the polished metal mirror. It was evident to anyone looking in on them that he was pleased by such a token of friendship, yet at the same time that token made him feel uneasy.

“Aethelwin I love it, and you are so sweet to have done this for me, but perhaps it is best if I do leave. For good. You already have everything set up here, you don’t really need me at all.”

“But we haven’t even started,” Aethelwin replied, nervously clutching at his hand. “This was your idea and now you want to leave?”

“Because here no-one knew me. I could come in, set myself up again without being persecuted, and live a normal life like everyone else. Now that you and Eadred know, and no doubt a few others now know too, things could get ugly. After all you been through, I wouldn’t want to drag you into my problems, as well. You said so yourself - they are already planning on ways to kill me. What choice do I have?”

“Stay, please Leodgar. Eadred has given us until summer, and by then we will all be so rich that he won’t even care if you’re Satan himself.”

Leodgar smiled ruefully.

“Is there a difference?”

“Of course there is. You’re a good man, everyone loves you because you are a good man.”

“It's no life though Aethelwin, living on borrowed time, fearing that any moment could be the one where they decide they don’t like you anymore, that they want to put your neck in a noose.”

“Neither is running from town to town. Please Leodgar,” she begged. “You said so yourself, we could help each other. Let me help you.”

Reluctantly, Leodgar nodded. Aethelwin was so relieved that she flung her arms around him, making him laugh with astonishment. When she let him go at last, beaming with joy, she noticed Ailith staring at them in the doorway to the house, her mouth wide open like a trout.

“Don’t just stand there. What do you want?” Aethelwin snapped.

The girl lowered her gaze to the floor and silently brought a basket full of fabrics to the table.