Resuscitate [5]

They were peacefully having dinner as she tried to act normally, engaging conversations with her boyfriend and their guests until Eric gently hit his fork against a wine glass and stood up, taking her hand. He led her to the middle of the restaurant, tonight reserved exclusively for their families, and knelt down in front of her, holding a small velvet box on his free hand.

She was surprised, to be honest, that she almost backed out of her plan but seeing the envy on Eve’s face and the glow in Eric’s eyes made her even more determined to push through.  He looked up at her and with hopeful eyes, he asked, “Maine, I love you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you make be the happiest man alive and be my wife?”

Everyone fell silent, waiting expectantly, both their mothers excited, their fathers shaking hands.  No one dared to move as they wait for her answer.

She closed her eyes, counted to five and took a deep breath. It’s now or never.  Her laughter broke the deafening silence, startling everyone in the venue.

In her sweet voice, she took his hand and pulled him up.  “Eric, Honey?”  She caressed his cheek tenderly, taking all her self-control not to slap him.  “Are you kidding me?”

His brows furrowed in confusion.  “I'm serious. Honey, you’re scaring me. Are you okay?”

She smirked.  “Of course I am, Hon.” She then turned to face her so called best friend.  “Eve, you’re my bestest best friend in the world, right?”

Eve paled but smiled nonetheless.  “Always, Maine. Alam mo naman yun. What's wrong, dear?”

“Great! Okay, then I have a question for you.  Should I marry him?  I mean I don’t think I should after I saw you two fucking each other’s brains out this morning, should I?”  She asked nonchalantly as if asking Eve what lipstick color would match her dress.

Everyone gasped.  Eve and Eric looked at each other pale-faced and eyes wide in shock.

Eric stuttered.  “What? No! B-Baby, it’s not what you think.”

“It’s not what I think?!  Really?!”  She exclaimed.  “Ano nga yung sabi mo kanina?”  She asked no one in general, her forefinger resting under her chin, thinking.  “Ah ayun, I remember na. ‘Tangina Eve, ang sarap mo talaga!’  Tapos sasabihin mo saken it’s not what I think?”

“I’m sorry, Maine.”  Eve blurted out, crying.

“Tangina naman, Eric. Kelan mo pa ko niloloko?  Kelan nyo pa ko niloloko, ha, Eve?!”

No one could answer her questions. Eric’s parents shook their heads in humiliation as Maine’s mother cried on her husband’s shoulder while the Mendoza patriarch seethed in anger, his hands balled into fists.  Her Kuya Nico stood up, his nose flaring, but their father held up his hand to stop him, lightly shaking his head.

“Ikaw, Eve.  I trusted you.  You’re my best friend, diba?  Why?  What did I ever do to you para gawin mo saken to?” The anger she bottled up since this morning came rushing to her that she could help crying anymore.

“Don’t you dare touch me, Eric!  Nandidiri ako sayo.  Ang bababoy nyo!”  She shouted at them as Eric took a step closer to her, his hands outstretched in an attempt to embrace her.  Tears stung her eyes but her vision was still clear enough for her to be able to connect her palm to his cheek quite forcefully that he was almost thrown backwards if Even didn't catch his fall.

“Maine, you have to trust me, I love you.  Ikaw lang.  What happened with Eve and I was an accident.  Maniwala ka.”

“Oh my god, Eric.  Accident?  Really? Accident? Ano, accident na sumama si Eve saken dito because she broke up with her “boyfriend”?  Ikaw ba yun?  You guys broke up so you could propose to me?”

“Eric.  Please wag na tayong magsinungaling.”  Eve muttered.

“Shut up, Eve!”  He shouted at her.

“Ikaw talaga ang mahal ko, Maine.  Please, please forgive me.” Eric begged, kneeling, his hands reaching out to her but Maine took a step back.

“I’m sorry, Maine.  It was just one night.  Lasing kami ni Eric. Nag-away kayo nun and he needed someone to talk to.” Eve justified.

“One night?!  So pang-ilan na yung kaninang umaga? Do you fuck her every time mag-aaway tayo, ha, Eric?”  She paused, trying to keep her breathing at bay.  “You know what? I don’t even care anymore, Eve. Sayong sayo na sya.”  She said flatly.  “Ugh, I have to get out here. You make me sick!”

Eric and Eve took a tentative step towards her.

“Don’t you dare follow me!  Eve, I never want to see your face ever again.  How could you? Just - just how?!”  She gritted her teeth and slapped Eve with all the strength he had left that her palm stung and her wrist hurt.  She then kneed Eric on the groin as she passed by him rendering him helpless and groaning like a wounded dog on the floor.  Eve, still clutching her cheek, ran to Eric and helped him stand up, swinging his arm around her shoulder.

"Walang susunod."  She yelled as she saw her older brother Nico running to Eric then grabbing him by the collar.

"Anak..."  Her mother said softly, concern etched on her face.

"I'll be fine, Mom.  I just need to get out of here and not see that douchebag's face ever again."

"Anak, please don't do anything to harm yourself."
 "Dad, I promise I won't. I just need to be alone right now."

She ran to the moonlit beach crying once again, just like this morning, slumping on the shore as her knees gave out.  She pushed herself up and weakly sat down on the wet sand.  She cried as she threw pebble after pebble into the waves, her heart heavy and unburdened both at the same time.