One: Valentine's Day

One: write a chapter in which a character spends Valentine's day alone.

Harper hitched up her bag higher up her shoulder. She slowed her pace as she took a left turn to Rue de Vieille-du-Temple. Making way for a puppy and it's owner, she could feel her breath catching from the long walk she had taken. She'd spent most of her morning at the Louvre for a meeting and the rest of the afternoon at Jardin des Tuileries. Her hands flew down to her dress, patting it down as the cold evening breeze ruffled her dress.

She mused that perhaps an occupation which required her to look overly feminine, whatever that word had to do with clothing, and attractive wasn't her forte. She had expected the meeting to be short and brief but the two of them were rather over-excited humans. The woman was definitely on sugar rush from all the chocolates she was gifted.

Harper decided that mentally preparing herself for her clients would distract her from the cold she'd probably catch soon owing to her poor fashion choices. This couple was a victim to the cliche Valentine's day proposal. The man, Arnold, had called her up two weeks ago to discuss his plans for a romantic midnight proposal on the riverbank on the 14th of February.

Harper was an event planner. She planned everything, from birthday parties to weddings. And she had a good steady job in Paris, at least as steady as it gets for a freelance planner, which she wasn't going to leave for anything.

When she met them today, she had expected it to be a goodbye to any clients for at least two weeks but they insisted she planned their wedding as well.

Seemed like Arnold wasn't the only one prepared because the woman, Ellie, had handed her a folder with all the ideas she had about how she wanted her wedding to be once Harper had answered with an affirmative. She handed the theme colours she wanted: shades of pink and shades of grey. And now they wanted to meet her again immediately.

Harper almost stumbled at the corner when a few teens took sharp turns on their bicycles and her stilettos were definitely not helping.

She paused at the light pole and bent her legs upwards one by one and removed her heels. She hooked the heels on the forefinger and centre finger of one hand and held her jacket closer together with the other.

Now that felt much better, she thought.

She ignored the curious looks of the pedestrians and continues walking, careful of the path as to not step on anything sharp. A small sight escaped her as she realised she looked like one of those girls but got over it cause by this point she really didn't give a damn.

She made her way up the streets.

Harper had been living in Paris for almost a whole year now but her amazement for the city life never decreased. She grew up in a small town where everyone know everyone. She attended the college there too with professors who she knew from when she was five. So Paris was the first big change and by far the biggest change so far.

She spotted the familiar blue curtain sunshades outside Brezich Café. She quickened her pace the slightest bit. She made her way across the road, almost dropping her purse along the way. She tightened her grip on her jacket and struggled all the way up to the cafe.

She crossed the road, hopping a bit as her foot came in contact with the rough pavement. She made her way through the front doors.

Brezich Café was one of the best in the heart of Pairs. It had also been classified as 'le meilleur café pour le thé', that is: the best place for tea. Not only were the beverages brilliant, like an American cafe, they offered varieties of cakes and snacks. These were mostly french based, though.