Chapter Fourteen

Star grimaced as she held a hand over her stomach, remembering the blade piercing the spot. "I can still feel it inside me."

Fane sat on the chair across from her bed. "It was a slayer weapon—It will take long to heal within."

"So, when are you going to tell everyone? We have to have a big celebration."

He averted his gaze. "You know I hate parties."

"I know—you've always hated being around a large crowd." She smiled as she stood from her bed, ignoring the sharp pain stabbing her stomach. "When are you going to bring her?"

He bend forward, elbows resting on his thigh as he met her gaze. "Today."

Star thought for a moment. "Okay, then let's go get her." He stood and grabbed her forearm in the blink of an eye. "What?"

His eyes narrowed. "I know you seek to see Denarus."

She jerked her arm free and propped her hand on her hip. "So?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose. "He obviously needs time."

She averted her gaze. "Fane—" At a small pain in her chest, she pressed her hand over it. When she glanced at Fane, he seemed lost in thought. "Is everything okay?"

"I'm not certain."

Perhaps, it was nothing.

"You're right," she said, feeling her chest ache. "I'm such a fool to believe he would even give me a chance—he must hate me after what happened."

"That was his damn fault."

She shook her head. "I shouldn't have hid my pain."

He placed his hands on her shoulders. "Let's just be glad that things didn't get worse."

Fane stepped back, eyes glowing gold before they narrowed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Star followed him out the room and down the hall. He descended the grand stairs, heading toward the front double doors. The moment he opened them, they both froze.

Liam stumbled into the foyer, holding a hand over the large laceration on his stomach. Fane aided him to take a seat on the couch as Star helped Kathrine inside.

"What happened?" Fane asked.

"We were ambush by slayers," Katherine said.

Star felt her heart ache. "Are you certain—"

"They attacked us for no reason." She held a hand over her stomach. When Star tried to check her, she pushed her away. "Do not think you can trust them blindly simply because one of them turned out to be your beloved. He hid from you for the past few years—They are all the same—they hate us, see us as lesser than them."

"Enough," Fane warned.

Zaeley and Zeref came from the study. Zaeley rushed to her sister's side, clear concern in her large eyes. "What happened?"

"Slayers—" It was evidently difficult for Katherine to speak. "They came out of no where."

"Why would they attack you?" Star asked before she could stop herself. "They—"