3- Desperately alone

- Levi ! she shouted.

He had trouble opening his eyes. At first all he saw were vague, blinding spots, and then he could make out trees, and the sky, the immensity of the blue sky, and the few birds that flew through it.

He turned his head. Every movement was painful. Hanji sat at his side, sniffing, her cheek bloody and her eyes heavy with tears. He was lying on the ground, the slightly wet earth dirtying his uniform.

- F - Four Eyes, he said - and he was surprised by the raspy sound of his own voice. You're really ugly when you cry...

Hanji's face lit up.

- Levi, oh, Levi !

She hugged him desperately.

- Ouch ! he complained.

He touched his abdominals. His fingers met a huge wound, and, making a face, he pulled them out - they were covered in blood. A sudden pain blasted through his leg - it was probably broken.

Then he remembered. The titan that caught Hanji. He did not have a moment of hesitation - he had jumped. He had pulled out his cables and anchors, flied through the air and cut off the hand of the hideous creature with monstruous eyes. He had carried the squad leader in his arms, but he was so panicked that he wasn't fast enough. The furious monster had jumped forward and bitten him with his large and gross teeth over the abdomen and the legs.

Meanwhile Hanji hadn't lost a second and had sliced the titan's nape off. And now the corporal lied on the ground, badly wounded. He smiled - a sad and nostalgic smile at the same time.

Then he started laughing. His laugh was gentle and cold - it was the bitter laugh of someone who is leaving this world behind.

- It's me... It's me... I'm the one who's gonna die...

- Levi, don't say stuff like that ! We're gonna save you ! Please... don't go....

- It... does not... mater... Hanji, he said, but with so much trouble that a drop of sweat perled at his forehead.

A new light appeared in his gaze.

- I... I had thought, for an instant, that you were the one about to die... I am satisfied. You're going to... survive.

- Levi ! No ! I should have died ! Please... I beg you ! What will humanity do without her best soldier ?

Her face was wet with tears. Levi, on the contrary, was not crying.

- I don't care about humanity as long as you continue to live. You deserve it, Hanji, more than me.

- Don't say that ! I'm sure we can still do something.

- It's too late... Hanji... promise me. The titans... Kill them... Kill them for me. You have to get rid of them... Please fight until the very end. Hanji... I... I love you.

His eyes closed and a last tear fell down his cheek. Then his chin fell over his chest.

- Levi ! Hanji shouted. Levi ! No !

But she was already alone, alone outside the walls, under the immensity of this blue sky. She shouted and cryed her despair again and again. Way up there, in the sky fields, flew birds. They, thanks to their wings, were free.

The wings of freedom... The hope of Humanity... what sense does it all make, when you find yourself deseperately alone ?