8. Call

The Doctor

"What is it with you, Pretty Boy?"

I look up from the report on my desk to where Morgan stands.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you've been staring at the same page of that report for at least five minutes," Morgan states. "You've been spacing out a lot these past few days. Something on your mind?"

"Hey, guys. Have you noticed Strauss and Hotch lately? She's been in his office three days this week."

JJ walks over, interrupting our conversation. I look up at her gratefully before looking towards Hotch's office. Strauss and Hotch looked like they were discussing something deeply. Hotch glances out the window and, seeing us talking, walks over and gives us a stern look before snapping the blinds shut.

"Well, that was strange," Morgan comments, turning back to us. "What do you think is going on in there?"

"I overheard Hotch and Rossi talking." Prentiss turns around in her chair to join the conversation. "Something about a BAU team member. Maybe it has something to do with that."

I raise my eyebrows.

"Getting rid one of us?" Morgan entreats playfully. "Well, like they all say, 'Last to arrive, first to leave'. See ya later, Prentiss."

She rolls her eyes.

"Actually, its more likely that we would be getting a new team member. Probably to provide more efficiency and to help solve more cases quicker, so we can get more of them," I interrupt.

"A new member?" Morgan asks curiously. "I hope that's it. Otherwise, one of us might be in trouble."

• • •

The Detective

"Alright, thank you! Bye!"

I give another fake smile before shutting my front door. Its been a week since the BAU team left, and I had received four different casseroles and seven different desserts. It's like the neighbors were trying to "out-nice" each other. Either way, I had enough food to feed a small army. Apparently, no matter the situation, food is the answer.

The police station had called in earlier to inform me there were no criminals in sight nor cases available.

I put the strawberry cheesecake in my already crowded freezer and grab my phone off of the counter. Not much was going on in the social media world, that's for sure. At least that was normal.

My laptop starts to play the Doctor Who theme, and my head turns to it. Who would be asking for a video call? Everyone who has my Skype address has already stopped by.

I sit down on the couch in front of it and see the caller:

AaronHotchner123

Well, isn't he creative? I smirk before pressing the "ACCEPT" button.

"Hey, Boss-Man!" I greet when his emotionless face pops up. "How's it hangin'?"

A woman stepped into the frame behind his office chair. They booth have sternness on their face.

"Oh, and Boss-Lady. How may I help you?"

I take a sip of coffee out of my "Espresso Patronum" mug while I wait for their response.

"Detective Brooks," the woman begins, "I am Erin Strauss, the BAU section chief. I've been told by SSA Hotchner about your... invaluable help with their case."

I raise my eyebrows.

"Invaluable? You flatter me, dear sir," I say with a small smile towards Hotch. "The fact that she's here shows that you obviously didn't give details of our first meeting."

"Actually, he did, which us what got me interested in his proposition," she replies. "That and how you helped with their case. Pretty impressive for a detective."

"Proposition? Well, now, I'm curious," I say, leaning forward slightly and setting my coffee cup.

"You are becoming a member of the BAU team," she begins. "Miss Garcia has shown me your background, and you meet all the requirements, plus some extra. You have also shown that you can work with the team already. To a fault." I shrug.

"Along with that, you are almost as smart as Dr. Reid," —My teeth clench involuntarily— "except with better social skills."

I give a snort of laughter.

"I figured that much out in college, Miss Strauss."

"So, I am offering you a position on the BAU team," she continues as if she hadn't heard me.

"You would be willing to overlook my little... controversy with Dr. Reid?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

Strauss nods.

"As long as it wouldn't affect your work here, I would."

Wheels in my brain begin to turn with thoughts, and the conversation goes quiet.

"I'll let you think about it," she says. "If you agree, SSA Hotchner will give you the details. I have paperwork I need to get, too."

And with that, Strauss left.

Hotch waits for a second, and I hear the door close before he turns back to the camera.

"Okay, now I'm going to ask you: will my dispute with Spencer Reid bother you?"

He sighs.

"How badly do you want this job?" he asks.

I glance away from the screen and out the window at the small town.

"I have always really wanted that job," I say quietly. "What would it take?"

"I need to know what happened between you and Reid."

I sigh and glance back at Hotch.

"Okay, do you have a few hours?"

He raises his eyebrows but nods.

"Good. This'll take a while."

And I tell Hotch why I hate Spencer Reid.

• • •

The Doctor

"Team."

We all look up at Hotch as he looks out of his office.

"There is going to be a new member of the BAU team arriving in a few days."

I look at him questioningly, but he doesn't meet my eyes.

"I expect you all to welcome her when she arrives."