Chapter Forty-Eight

Lennard wasn't on board with using outside help, but Polly decided he didn't have a say. After all, she was the main catalyst in their plan, and at that point, it was Kenzie or bust. The following afternoon, Kenzie stood on Lennard's doorstep, looking like she was a queen entering her castle.

Kenzie wore a stunning pink skater dress with thigh high stockings that matched the white, lace bow in her hair. Her heels were tall and sharp, and her sunglasses were large and reflective. And of course, she was chewing gum obnoxiously. All a part of who she was: the queen of masks.

And this afternoon, she was wearing her bitch mask, complete with the attitude to match. She was there to support Polly and make a difference, and that meant she needed to bring all the attitude she possessed.

Behind her stood Tom, unsure and hesitant. Unlike Polly, he was not confident. Minny hadn't exactly invited him, and Lennard wasn't the most friendly person. But, Kenzie and Tom both knew Lennard, and both had dealt with much worse.

When Lennard opened the door, Kenzie cocked her head to the side. "Lenny. How nice to see you again." Her words sounded sarcastic.

Before Lennard could spit out a comeback, Polly was running through the doorway and into Kenzie's arms, holding tight to the girl she loved. Just being there, in Kenzie's arms, felt so right. She felt instantly safe, and instantly better about their situation. Just by being in Kenzie's presence.

Kenzie wrapped her arms around Polly, and then without hesitation, planted a kiss on the blonde's lips. Like it was the most natural thing in the world to do. And when Polly answered with a grin, Kenzie felt like everything in her life was finally coming together. Her father may have attempted to kill her, but with Polly in her arms, things were looking up.

"You brought Tom, too." Was Lennard's only response.

Minny poked his head out from behind Lennard. "Tom, you're here too? Sweet! What a fucking power team." Minny stepped from around Lennard, fist bumping Tom. He'd never been so grateful to see his best friend in his entire life.

Tom pulled gum from his pocket, offering Minny a piece. "Didn't know if you had any here, and I knew you'd be stressed."

Minny grinned, grabbing a piece of the mint gum Tom was offering. "Dude, I could kiss you right now."

Lennard put a hand on Minny's shoulders, his grip hard. "Don't make those jokes, Benny boy. It's inappropriate, considering you're devaluing the fight that actual gay people go through. Now, let's go inside so we can fill in our new... guests."

Lennard was reluctant. Not because he didn't like Tom and Kenzie, because while they acted stiff with each other, the three of them got along quite fine as children. It was the fact that Lennard had left Minny behind that had Kenzie and Tom angry at the twin.

The group filled the dining room, taking seats around the table. The presence of Kenzie and Tom had Polly grinning, as well as Minny. Both looked like they were truly happy, now that their friends had joined in. The only issue was that Kenzie and Tom were completely out of the loop, and this would take a lot of explaining.

Lennard took the head of the table, his girl companion beside him, refusing to sit in a chair. She stared at Kenzie, unflinchingly, and the purple-haired girl felt unnerved by the stare of the strange girl on all fours. She looked unnatural and more creature than girl. Tom didn't miss her presence, either, but said nothing.

Tanner and Gryphon joined them, but their presence wasn't as noticeable, as they didn't dare sit at the table. Both were outsiders in this group reunion, and both felt awkward even being there.