Chapter 3

Chapter 3

 sorry guys, this is my crap writing.....

            Throughout the whole day, Darcy and Kale stalked after me. They were like little dogs, but way more uncomfortable. All they did was sit, follow, and watch me like hawks. Carefully, yet casually. As if I would whirl around and shoot them with a gun. They whisper a lot too. Like they have something to say that I can’t know.

I walk home, bummed and exhausted. New York makes me even more irritant. The cars and horns and murmuring jumble into your head. My shoes touch the concrete silently; my backpack weighs down my shoulders. I hear a slithering and crashing inside an ally I walk by. Startled I peek into the ally. No one was there. Just shadows flickering and moving eerily along the brick lining. The hair on the back of my neck stands up. I look around and see that no one is around me. Maybe the stalker kids are watching me I think and giggle lightly it is probably my vivid imagination. Ever since I was young, I have been haunted by monsters under my bed and in the closet. I am finally starting to ignore it, imagination isn’t real. Reality is real. Monsters and unicorns don’t exist.

 I shrug and keep walking, but the hair on my neck and arms stay stiff and don’t settle until long after I am inside my building and up the stairs. My apartment looks even more hideous than it did this morning. For Brooklyn, this was pretty low class. The wallpaper was old and worn, the green floor looking more brown and black now. Not to mention the rat carcasses in the basement. No wonder it is off limits down there. It is clean enough upstairs  to live in, though. Just not my preference.

 Before I reach floor three, my floor, I here Amy’s stereo beating to a cardiac workout. “Work those calves, girl,” I hear the African-American trainer cry at my mother who replies loudly “I am! I am!” I am hesitant to step inside, for fear my mother might want company during her workout. I wait on the bench outside my house until I hear the stereo stop blaring. I stand and reach for the doorknob. Before I can turn it, Amy opens the door, facing me and smiling.

“I thought I heard breathing,” she smiles, sweat still beaded on her forehead “you didn’t want to work out with me did you?” I shake my head slowly.

 “Well, are you just going to stand there or come inside?”

I pause. “Stand here.” We both laugh.

“Come inside” she says finally “I just made cookies.”

Once inside, I take a deep breath and smell the delicious aroma of chocolate chips mixed with baked cookies. Then, of course, a little like a sweaty gym. I take off my jacket and set my backpack by the side of the door. My mother scuffles into the kitchen to get me some cookies. I sit on the couch quietly.

“So how was your day” Amy says when she exits the kitchen.

“Torturous” I sigh and my mother sits beside me, handing me my plate of cookies and setting a glass of milk on the coffee table beside the sofa. “My day was bad too” she reassures me. “Why” I inquire, picking up a cookie. “You know, I had to take a taxi with your Dad to the airport this morning.” I completely forgot that this was the last day of my Dad’s vacation. He had to go to Florida today, and he wouldn’t be back until next week. I sigh heavily and nibble the edge of the chocolate chip cookie.

“We had new students today,” I finally put in after a long period of awkward silence.

“Oh! How nice!” my Mother muses “are they nice?”

I shrug “I guess….they are a little strange. So are their names.”

“What are their names, dear?”