avier.

the flight and fall of avier fluor.

; [this piece was my creative writing assignment for literature class]

"Listen, my son, spread your beautiful wings and fly to great and grand heights as your heart wills...

Avier Fluor was a boy who had passion brimming out of every pore, and his eyes lit up with the fervent of burning globes when he spoke of his dreams. He was a boy who would burn the stars out and turn them into poetry. Avier Fluor held stardust in his soul- he was built of wild dreams and bright ones. He was the tender sweetness of raspberries and the cold, refreshing taste of mints. He always had laughter hidden under the tip of his tongue, and love rushing through his heart. He was always ready to paint the skies or run into a field of fire-petaled gaillardias or dance in the rain. He was the embodiment of joy- the living form of a liberated soul.

Avier Fluor looked as if he had been kissed by the sun, as if he had been crowned by the galaxies. When you thought of him, you would think of purple-blotched salmon skies and the first fall of rain. When you thought of him, you would think of seeing the bloom of cherry blossoms after suffering months of the harsh, freezing winter days. When you thought of Avier Fluor, you would not be able to stop the small smile dancing at the corner of your lips. After all these thoughts, you would sit and wonder why the universe had to tug at the strings of time and play its cards as fate. You wonder why Avier Fluor had his sense of direction robbed and why the burning globes in his eyes had dimmed, instead replaced by the haunting ghosts of his tragic tale. For Avier Fluor was ruled by his strengths so greatly that he failed to see that they had cumulated into his weaknesses. Perhaps it were his flaws and not strengths that he felt so strongly and loved too deeply- so much so he began craving esuriently, intoxicated and blinded.

...but be not like Icarus, let not your desires turn you to ashes."

But Avier Fluor was a starry-eyed boy, naive and artless. Had he known that love could ravage one's soul entirely, he would have bottled his feelings away in the depths of the ocean. Yet, his temptations slowly throttled all rational thoughts out of him. Just like Icarus, he met Apollo. Apollo was the god of sun and he burned fiercely, a blazing orb of gold and rubies- and Icarus watched as Apollo claimed his throne in the skies, every substance around him existing at his mercy. Just like Icarus, Avier thanked his lucky stars as his hands trailed circles on his wondrous wings that had opened a myriad of ways to touch the sky, to have met Apollo. The words of his father suddenly became careless whispers that went unheard, neglected- Avier felt the surge of a wild amalgam of curiousity and concupiscence rattling deep in his bones. An unexplainable inebriation consumed Avier at the sight of Apollo; he had wanted Apollo more than he could ever love, and that was a cardinal sin in itself.

Avier did love Apollo, and that was why he hardly flinched when he first felt the flames singe his wings. The wax that held his wings in place- his ability to cerebrate- slowly melted with every passing moment that he spent giving in to his temptations and losing his heart to Apollo. He was bound to get burned, thinking his love would surpass the  power of fate. Avier thought he could create golden times with Apollo, forgetting that the god of sun would inevitably set him ablaze. He witnessed the edge of his wings being scorched by the flames of Apollo, but loving Apollo had forced him to lose any control he had over his mind. Avier's heart and mind became two- one begging to stay in the ether while the other screaming to be set free onto earth. Eventually, the agony began obliterating him from within- he could feel the stardust being drained out of his soul, his liberated soul being strangled. A sad smile formed at the corner of his lips as he looked at Apollo who was still burning as fiercely and brightly; his father had warned him, yet he chose to play with fire. Avier Fluor flew to greater heights with his wings in all its splendour, but Avier Fluor fell prey to his emotions- he loved, he desired, and so he fell. The feathers on his wings came loose as the wax that held it melted, and just as Icarus plunged to his death in the sea, Avier had the fire in his heart burn out as he sunk into a spiral of self-hatred and dolour.

Avier Fluor should not have flown in close proximity to Apollo. He should have listened to his father; he should not have embraced his undoing and ruin himself. Avier Fluor should have stopped himself although his Apollo was a girl with walnut waves and cognac eyes who redefined the wonders of the universe. He should have stopped himself because all he ever felt as he fell was rue and regret- "o heart you have failed me and I have destroyed you."