Job Hunt

Four

Tris stares out the window, neither of us speaking, other than her telling me which way to go. It's an awkward sort of silence, which sucks, because until this morning our new friendship felt unusually comfortable.

After only about a minute, Tris blurts out, "Look, I know you heard... Eric and me... this morning. I mean, that much was obvious when your face turned beet red the moment you looked at me." My face starts heating up again. Damn it.

I scratch the back of my neck uncomfortably. "Uh... yeah... um... well I didn't hear... that much..." I stutter. Stop being such a Stiff, Tobias, I tell myself. I glance at Tris and her cheeks are flushed, too.

"Uh yeah, well, I just wanted to... I don't know... apologize, I guess. I didn't think. I would never want to make you uncomfortable and we will try to be more considerate in the future. We're just... not used to having to worry about people hearing us. So let's just move on and forget it." Before I can say anything, she interrupts me to point out where to turn.

It's probably best to change the subject. "So, I know I'm about to see, but tell me about where you work."

"At a coffee shop," she replies. "I've worked there since I moved here. The owner is really nice and has been pretty understanding and flexible with me when I have needed it. The tips are decent, too. And she'll work with my class schedule, which is great."

"Do you know if she has any job openings?" I ask hopefully. I really need to find something, because my savings will only last so long. Marcus only pays the bills that come from the college-- tuition, housing and meal plan-- as well as books. My car insurance, gas, basics like toiletries and clothes, and everything else is out of my own pocket.

Tris chews on her lower lip. "Not that I know of... this can be a hard time of year to find a job, it's too bad you didn't come and put in applications a few weeks ago. Still, it never hurts to ask." Tris points to a storefront, directing me to park and come inside with her.

A bell chimes as we enter the cafe. It's a cozy looking place, with a few regular small round tables and hard chairs, but mostly mismatched, overstuffed couches and armchairs arranged throughout the room. The walls are painted bold reds and purples, and the lighting isn't too bright or too dim. "Hang out for a second-- I'll have Tori come up and talk to you," Tris says before she walks away.

The girl behind the counter has three rings in her left eyebrow and her hair is dyed bright purple. Tris greets her as she passes before she disappears to the back room. While I wait, I sip a water and look at the artwork on the walls while I wait for the owner. There are a variety of mediums from oil paintings to watercolor, but mostly photographs, and most are simply signed with the initials BGP.

"They're beautiful, aren't they?" I turn toward the voice. The woman who has approached me is medium height and slender with slanted brown eyes and black hair streaked with silver. "I'm Tori. Tris says you're looking for a job."

I shake Tori's outstretched hand. "Thanks for meeting with me-- my name is Four."

"What would you like to drink?" Tori asks before adding, "on the house, of course." I ask for a black coffee and Tori calls our orders to Tris, who smiles at me encouragingly as I follow Tori to a small round table. Tris comes with our drinks as Tori and I make a bit of small talk.

"Well, Four," Tori says, "I don't have an opening right now." It feels like something inside me deflates-- I had my hopes up that it might be just this easy. "But I know people, so why don't you tell me about yourself. What do you like to do, hobbies, special skills?"